stacking wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
When do you guys go from single stack rows to cord sized cubes. I have everything in single rows right now butwould save some room if I put them in cubes.

It takes the same ammout of room it just depends on the space you are working with which will work better. I only stack single rows because i need to dry quickly. A cube will take allot longer to dry

When I joined here I had to get inventive on stacking materials. I refuse to pay for anything. Getting 3 yrs ahead with a 5-6 cord a year usage. I have collected, over the years, purchased racks, brackets, etc. But nothing to stack 20 cords of wood with. I used single rows till I ran out of room.
I use my single row racks now for hard to stack wood (rounds and shorts and limbs) and the pallets/cubes for the straight wood.
I also use metal Tposts with singe row stacking for all my oak and hickory. They dont work as well, the posts shift and stacks fall. But oh well.
An old chicken shed for the shorts crotches and unsplittable splits. Thrown in loose.
Still like the the single row racks, they are just expensive. Pallets are free.

I use all pallets wnd a few 2x4s. I split the pallets in half so they are only 24" deep and fit a single row then i use some 2x4s to make end brackets. cover with old roofing tin or rubber roofing. I do use roll plastic if i run out of other stuff to top cover with

Use whatever u have to keep it up and covered. As long as there is a space between rows u should be fine with doubles.

Double rows and cribbed ends for me. I cut around 22ish inches and it's pretty stable if I lean the rows inward. All on pallets and top covered, except the oak I split this Spring/early summer. That remains uncovered as of now

Status
Not open for further replies.