Stacks from the summer....I think i need something a bit better than the tarps and pallets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newguyjoe

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Monroe,NY
20210818_191338.jpg

You might consider building a wood shed..lol Beautiful stacks of wood and if you have extra just ship them here... I imagine tarps get old....clancey

Yes! Build yourself a woodshed. There is a thread just for woodsheds to give you ideas.

Yes a woodshed is nice. However, if this works for you (dry) and the other inhabitants if your home (aesthetics), then you're good as well .

I used to (before my shed) put 2*4s on blocks and stack on that. Just a bit farther (and more air flow) from the humid ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozarkoak
I built some passive solar kilns at my place, and they are working well for me. Three threads here total. Link is to the most recent, and has links in post one back to the first two threads in the series.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/experience-based-solar-kiln-operation.167843/

Some of the folks here have built them, and are getting green wet juicy oak burnable in one season.

The drawback to the passive solar kilns for me is the plastic membrane lasts about 18 months. I can afford the money, but I don't like ending all that plastic to the landfill. The results are great, I am still using my passive kilns and stiull happy with them.

I did have an opportunity summer 2020 to help out a family from my church and they have been ecstatic with these. Be aware both birch and spruce (all we can get locally) will season to burnable in one summer. Get it split and stacked off the ground in April, covered on top to keep the rain off, ready in September - with the caveat this later design has a 1.5 inch gap on both sides of the layer in the middle.

I may be about to bump this thread, but this design works good up here, seasoned firewood in one summer, no ongoing plastic to the dump: