Stainless chimney installer....what do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Hearth Supporter
Jul 15, 2010
PA
Ok I am installing a stainless steel chimney and wanted to get your opinions on what this hearth installer told me when I called for an estimate. I have a 2 story house. I am installing a stainless chimney out the basement wall and up. I thought I would have to go through the eves, as that would put the chimney straight up after the tee section. The chimney installer tells me that its better to avoid the roof and dealing with cutting holes and flashing and that he would instead use a 45 to go out from under the eve and up from there thus avoiding the eve. I was under the impression that its not good to have any other bends other than the tee 90 in your chimney. I told this to the installer and he said its not a problem because of the amount of pipe in between my tee and the 45 offset being about 20 ft. He said draft would be fine. Is he correct and is there anything else I should be worried about with having this 45?

I think the installer is looking for the easy install. I'd go straight up through the eve, easier to clean without the 45's and a little safer so you don't have to reach out as far and not standing on the edge. Get another bid.

I have heard varying stories on cleaning stainless steel chimneys....some guys claim you don't have to do much to them as far as cleaning. I really don't know much about them and I'm trying to learn on the go here, so is there any truth to this? Or do you definitely need to run a brush up inside from the tee every so often like a masonry chimney?

45s are not allowed on class A pipe, only 15 and 30 deg. elbows are permitted. Installing with an offset is easier for the installer because there's no carpentry involved. But going up through the eaves can be done and neatly. How large is the overhang? Is there gutter in the path of the pipe?

The frequency of cleaning is relative to the temperature of the flue gases in the pipe. It depends on how and what you are burning and the outside temps. With an exterior flue you will still need to do at least an annual cleaning. If burning poorly seasoned wood and/or if the stove is an older, air-tight unit and it is run smoldering, the pipe may need cleaning every few weeks regardless of the stainless steel.

jstellfox said:
I have heard varying stories on cleaning stainless steel chimneys....some guys claim you don't have to do much to them as far as cleaning. I really don't know much about them and I'm trying to learn on the go here, so is there any truth to this? Or do you definitely need to run a brush up inside from the tee every so often like a masonry chimney?

all chimneys should be cleaned with a brush

Does anyone here have an install where their chimney has 30 degree offsets to bypass the eaves of their house? Just wondering how that works out for you.

Ever since I started researching for my own stainless chimney I have been keeping an eye out for these class A chimneys on other houses. I have to tell you that I cannot believe how many people I see who go out and around the roof overhang with their chimneys...I would say the ratio in my area is about 2:1 favoring the out and around setup. I guess if you listen to BeGreen and follow the rules/codes for these chimneys I don't think that a 30 degree elbow is going to kill your draft.

I think it really boils down to how you want it to look as well as what you want to spend. Out and around is going to be quicker and cheaper but it adds some additional angles etc. while the through the overhang route keeps it nice and straight but will be more expensive as it requires carpentry and flashing.

Please let us know what you decide on and pics would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.