Stainless Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead262

Jan 2, 2014
Linthicum, MD
I installed new stainless chimney at the beginning of November and have been burning now for almost two full months. At around the first month I went up and pulled cap off and cleaned out chimney. Wanted to make sure I was doing things right so to speak. Cleaned everything out and all looked for the most part good. Figured at this point I would be good for the next few months as there was really no buildup to speak of.

Yesterday when I was finishing taking down the Christmas lights I noticed the top one foot section and the cap were really starting to change colors. I knew some of this was to be expected but it seems like alot of surface area at this point that has changed. Any insight into what is going on would be great.

Stove is mfg by vestal. Not sure of the model but its about 25 years old. Front load. Chimney is about 22 feet in overall height. Goes up just over three foot over peak and is only 6 inches away from the peak. 6 inch pipe.

Stainless Chimney question Stainless Chimney question

Discoloration is normal. Gut I gotta say. I my liner is s.s. inner shell with insulation between and galvanized outer shell, and in 8 heating seasons has not discolored as much as I see in these photos.
Could be smokey smouldering fires, or maybe just due to wind, I dunno. Maybe the cap design forces much of the exhaust downward, no clue. Seems a little much for a month or so burning.
My only true guess is wet wood leading to smokey exhaust. Are you sure the wood is dry, and your burning hot enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.