Stainless Flex Liner Lifespan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark77

Jan 11, 2015
NJ
what is the average lifespan on a stainless steel flex liner? i don't recall the brand when it was installed approximately 8 years ago but curious to how long they last. i would think that the life span would be a long time barring any wear/punctures from hitting the inside of the chimney. just curious to know.

That depends on allot of things but if it is light wall stainless and you dont over fire it allot or have allot of fires i would expect 20+ years at least. With the heavy flex we use we typically get at least 30 years But like anything if you abuse it you can dramatically shorten the life

Not sure what i have. Is there a way to tell? What would the signs be when is starting to go?

When we clean older liners we run the camera through them every few years to check them Is this on the insert? or a freestander?

Not sure what i have. Is there a way to tell? What would the signs be when is starting to go?
At 8 years unless you are cleaning it improperly or have had many fires it should be fine

Going on 10 years now. I think its a great question. Never really even thought about it either till now.

However I can't imagine it "wearing out" EVER unless you have a problem or abuse it. I do know creosote is corrosive so perhaps there is a usual lifespan. I'm not looking forward to replacing it- not cheap.

I just checked and I got the insert and liner in 2006 but just recently installed a jotul f55. I have the jotul rear exiting to a T connector with a clean out. The insert I have been burning 24/7 through the winter months since I bought it. Is that having many fires? I also clean it regularly and never have a lot of creosote.

Do you clean it with a metal or plastic (poly) brush?

6" round poly brush. I push all the way down then pull all the way up and repeat.

Sounds good. Poly is easier on flex than a metal brush.

On a side note, when cleaning with a clean out inside your house/fireplace opening, is it better to clean from the top with the clean out cap installed and after the dust settles, take the cap off to get the fallen creosote. Or take the cap off, secure a bag of some sort to the bottom of the T and clean so the creosote falls into the bag?

The insert I have been burning 24/7 through the winter months since I bought it. Is that having many fires?
no i mean chimney fires not fires in the stove. It sounds like you are doing everything right it should last you a long time. And yes brush it down then pull the cap it is to easy to brush down into the bag and knock it off

No chimney fires in the past. I figured to leave the cap. Thanks for all the info

I have the Heavy smooth wall liner, when they sold me the liner they sold me the 8" steel Brush. I didn't know the metal brush was bad, obviously they didnt either. How bad is it?? when I clean it it doesnt seem to leave any obvious scratches.15 yrs with no problems so far... I have a poly brush but have never used it since I figured the metal would do a better job...So, How bad is it???

I have the Heavy smooth wall liner, when they sold me the liner they sold me the 8" steel Brush. I didn't know the metal brush was bad, obviously they didnt either. How bad is it?? when I clean it it doesnt seem to leave any obvious scratches.15 yrs with no problems so far... I have a poly brush but have never used it since I figured the metal would do a better job...So, How bad is it???
I honestly dont think it is that bad but i would switch to the poly one to be safe

I put a heavy duty smooth interior liner in 3 years ago (and rarely burn in it) and noticed this year the inner layer is 'peeled' in slightly so its creating a small obstruction in a few places. Is this liner shot or still usable? Really unhappy about it in any case.

I put a heavy duty smooth interior liner in 3 years ago (and rarely burn in it) and noticed this year the inner layer is 'peeled' in slightly so its creating a small obstruction in a few places. Is this liner shot or still usable? Really unhappy about it in any case.
not totally shot but that is the reason that i never recommend that crap. And no it is not heavy duty in any way at all. I would keep an eye on it if it gets worse it may need replaced

I believe there was someone posting the in forum recently who was complaining about salt from their wood (they lived near the ocean) was corroding their liners in a matter of just a couple of years. Creosote is corrosive too, but assuming you clean your flue as needed I think most of these liners would typically last many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.