Stainless Steel Halfway Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dj3k

Oct 23, 2023
USA
I have an open fireplace that I have used for several years with a clay tile chimney. This year I am putting in a small wood burning insert. Can I run a stainless steel liner 6ft into the chimney and just leave it there and not go to the top of the chimney? It is a basement fireplace and the chimney is in the middle of the house.

I have an open fireplace that I have used for several years with a clay tile chimney. This year I am putting in a small wood burning insert. Can I run a stainless steel liner 6ft into the chimney and just leave it there and not go to the top of the chimney? It is a basement fireplace and the chimney is in the middle of the house.
Technically if your chimney is code compliant the clay liner isn't oversized by too much and you do a good blockoff plate yes you can but you don't want to. It won't work as well won't be as safe and you will need to pull all of it out every year to clean it properly

Thank you. Why is the size of the clay liner important?
Because if it's to large the exhaust will expand to much and cool leading to poor draft and creosote buildup

If the stove has a 6” collar, it has an area of just over 28 sq inches. An 8” square flue has an area of 64 sq inches. The sudden increase in size allows the flue gasses to cool. The clay liner also takes more energy to heat up, allowing creosote to condense on the walls.

If the stove has a 6” collar, it has an area of just over 28 sq inches. An 8” square flue has an area of 64 sq inches. The sudden increase in size allows the flue gasses to cool. The clay liner also takes more energy to heat up, allowing creosote to condense on the walls.
And it probably isn't an 8" square flue for a fireplace