Stainless Steel heat shield for Mantel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt_Ron

Sep 11, 2013
Michigan
We installed a Hearthstone Clydesdale wood stove insert about two years ago. I had to remove the wood mantel that was above the fireplace since the heat from the wood stove would be too much.

I made a mantel out of solid cherry and had a local sheet metal company make me a heat shield out of 18gauge brushed stainless steel. It's 38 inches long, and 5 3/4 wide with a 1/2 inch 20 degree bevel in the front. I found some 1/2 inch ceramic stand-offs on ebay, used for high voltage electrical components. Drilled 5 holes and mounted it to the bottom of the mantel. If I did it again, I would probably make it 48 inches long, but this should work fine. Cost me a total of $55 dollars.

Here's some pictures. Hope you like it !

mantel 1.jpg mantel 2.jpg mantel 3.jpg

Looks good but it needs to be 1" not 1/2"

Because that is what nfpa 211 requires for a heat shield

Since I'm not a professional installer, and don't live in PA, we'll see how well it works. I can always have another one made. He made it in 20 minutes while I was standing there. If I do make another one, will make it 48" and will over hang it another 1/2" like you say.

Thanks for the feedback

Since I'm not a professional installer, and don't live in PA, we'll see how well it works. I can always have another one made. He made it in 20 minutes while I was standing there. If I do make another one, will make it 48" and will over hang it another 1/2" like you say.
No you need 1" of space between the mantle and the shield. The shield does not need to be wider. And pro installer or not you still need to follow code. And yes nfpa 211 is code in Michigan also. It is probably fine the way it is but you should really double up on those 1/2" spacers so you have the required 1"

Thanks for the feedback
fyi - NFPA - National Fire Protection Association -

No you need 1" of space between the mantle and the shield. The shield does not need to be wider. And pro installer or not you still need to follow code. And yes nfpa 211 is code in Michigan also. It is probably fine the way it is but you should really double up on those 1/2" spacers so you have the required 1"

Oh, ok. Yes I do have more ceramic stand offs and will double them. Thank you for the clarification, really appreciate it.

Oh, ok. Yes I do have more ceramic stand offs and will double them. Thank you for the clarification, really appreciate it.
No problem

Status
Not open for further replies.