Stainless steel metalbestos vs Galvinized Metalbestos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the stainless is better and that is all I have used in the past. ( while spending someone else's dough) But recently I saw some galv double wall pipe for quite a lot less than stainless metal bestos. Perhaps even the galv pipe might not even be made by metalbestos...Thoughts anybody? Also is there anyway to get around the 2' above the ridge rule with the top of you smoke stack...Are there stoves on may buy that nullifies this rule.

PS You can count on me to keep asking stupid qustions for now and in the near future. Thanks to all who have sent information my way.

Your resident idiot, Joe from maine

You need to use whatever pipe is approved for what you want to do. Cutting corners when you play with fire could cost someone their life.

You did not really say what you are doing and where you want to use this pipe.

The 2/10 rule is a national (maybe international) code, so there is no way around it.

When I bought the Metalbestos fo our house, the distributor told me the stainless is an appearance issue. The SS looks nicer outside and may last longer in the weather, but that you can run the galvanized inside the house to save a few bucks. It's all SS inside the pipe where it counts! Most of our chimney is galvanized, the last two sections are SS. The 2 foot rule is for the chimney and is not stove dependent. I overshot the 2 foot rule by a couple of feet to make sure the smoke didn't wash down into the yard while I was burning, but there isn't any smoke to speak of anymore. Right now, it's just a lightning rod...

Chris

I agree with everything that has been said. In order to save money, do as Redox said and run the galvanized exterior pipe to just below the roof-line switching to the stainless steel once you've penetrated the roof-line and are outside the envelope of the house.

Galvanized outside for cost savings is ok. Galvanized inside, not recommended. If you're trying to keep the clearances tight, you'll most likely need to use double-wall pipe or a pipe heat shield for single wall on the interior piping.

BeGreen I don't know if we're on the same wavelength.

We're talking about Class A chimney systems, with a galvanized outer surface versus a stainless steel outer surface.

Yep, that's what I was referring to also. There was a suggestion by a distributor that galvanized is ok for interior as well.

When I bought the Metalbestos fo our house, the distributor told me the stainless is an appearance issue. The SS looks nicer outside and may last longer in the weather, but that you can run the galvanized inside the house to save a few bucks.

I just wanted to clarify that it isn't recommended for interior. Did I suggest something confusing or in error?

It just seems what you're saying is backwards what I understand and what I've been told. From how I understand things, the galvanized exterior class A chimney can be used both interior and exterior but will not weather as gracefully in exterior locations when compared to stainless steel.

You're saying the opposite is true? Or am I missing something too? haha

"What we have here is...failure to communicate"

Attachments

• strother martin.jpg
    strother martin.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 314
Nah, moving my son back from college today. Just got back. My reference is to the stove pipe connecting the stove to the class A pipe. I just wanted to be sure that the OP didn't grab some galvanized duct pipe and hook it up to the classA because it was cheap and he read here galvanized is ok for interior work. For class A pipe - ok, for singlewall interior pipe not so ok.

O,tay?

OK, you don't have to eat the rest of those hard boiled eggs if you don't want to. :eek:hh: Rick

Urp, now you tell me :sick:

fossil said:
OK, you don't have to eat the rest of those hard boiled eggs if you don't want to. :eek:hh: Rick

You got your mind right, Luke?

BrotherBart said:
...You got your mind right, Luke?

Yessir, Boss, my mind is right.

PM me, the office is still open. :)

Attachments

• psychiatry-couch.gif
    psychiatry-couch.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 198
NO, the exterior is available as galvanized or stainless. Same interior SS and class A rating either way.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.