Standing Dead Tree ID -Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I've had my eye on this big old standing dead tree for a while because the wood is in very good shape, very litte rot or insect damage and it's solid when you knock on it. I think it's an elm tree and if it is there could be a lot of a good dry wood there for this winter. There is still some bark at the bottom of the tree and it's in one big piece that I could probably pull off all at once. I've found a couple other standing dead elm's around but they had a lot more bark than this tree does. What do you guys think? If I was to cut it down I'd be a little worried about all the dead branches.

04702320.gif
f2b4934a.gif

0a6bda0d.gif
c7f5cc3c.gif

e7031f1f.gif

I'm no expert but looks like ash to me.

Looks like ash to me too. Just watch for the branches above when cutting. Those are the reason I wear a helmet.

estang said:
I'm no expert but looks like ash to me.

The bark on Elm and Ash are pretty similar. The only reason I say Elm. Is the large sections of bark peeling at once.

So Elm... Cut it and split it... If it 'Pops" its ash. But if its "Stringy" its elm. I still vote Elm though. Cut one down 2 months ago. Nasty stuff

It doesn't look like an Elm to me. Too straight at the top. Elms are usually vase shaped, and even in the forest you usually see some indication of the typical vase shape of the branches. Of course your tree is probably missing a lot of branches, so I am sort of guessing here.

I was looking for branches that grow straight across from each other, can't remember their names. Let us know if there is any punkiness too it. Seems that most of the trees I find that dead still standing are soaked.

ASH

Looks like firewood to me . . . but if I had to make a guess I would lean towards saying it is a dead ash.

Thanks guys, it would make sense that it's ash as there are a lot more ash trees around here than elm trees. I think what threw me off is that the ash trees usually do very well here and I haven't come across any dead ones until this. I'm hoping a good portion of the wood is nice and dry and might even be ready to burn this year. I guess there is only one way to find that out. I'll take a closer look at it soon to come up with a good plan of attack. It's a very tall tree with lots of dead branches up top.

For sure, the shape of the tree says it is not elm as does the bark. The roadmap that the bugs left is typical of ash.

I also agree that cutting this tree can be tricky with all those dead limbs up there. An accident waiting to happen and that is why I like to get them cut before they are at this stage.

I would also caution that you will probably find that the butt of the tree may very well have lots of moisture yet. However, it won't take long to dry after it is split.

[quote author="albertj03" date="1314161016"]I've had my eye on this big old standing dead tree for a while because the wood is in very good shape, very litte rot or insect damage and it's solid when you knock on it. I think it's an elm tree and if it is there could be a lot of a good dry wood there for this winter. There is still some bark at the bottom of the tree and it's in one big piece that I could probably pull off all at once. I've found a couple other standing dead elm's around but they had a lot more bark than this tree does. What do you guys think? If I was to cut it down I'd be a little worried about all the dead branches.

How about oak, any in that area?

zap

Looks like ash to me. Even the way the bark has pulled away from the heartwood in that pic - that looks exactly how ash, cut into rounds, has it's bark pull away when it starts to season.

sinnian said:
I don't know $h!t, but I am "bucking" the odds and saying, "White Cedar", especially since he is cutting in So. Maine where 95%+ of White Cedar are dead.

100% positive it is not eastern white cedar . . . the bark remaining is nothing like cedar's bark.

Best suggestion . . . go back to the area . . . look around at nearby trees with similar looking bark . . . pick a few leaf samples and post the pics here.

wood dope said:
My knee jerk thought was popple. Tough ID for sure!

I thought poplar at first too but dead poplars around here don't last long at all. The wood rots quickly, woodpeckers tear them apart and half the tree is on the ground before you know it. This tree has been standing there dead for several years an shows very little rot or damage and the wood is solid.

There are a mix of trees all around. Red & white oak, sugar maple, ash, birch trees, poplar, little bit of elm, beech and of course there is all the pine trees and hemlock. Down the street there are a lot of nice locus trees but very few over here.

I know it's not oak because I've seen plenty of old dead oak trees and the wood looks totally different. It does seem like ash is the most likely species. I'll wait until my wife's uncle comes over to cut some trees and have him spot me while I tackle this one. Seems like a better idea than doing it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.