started on my wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiefire

Dec 16, 2008
rural saskatchewan canada
spent a few hours after work this week and started on the wood shed. it is 12'l x10'w. i will finish this weekend just have to put the tin on the roof and decide what to do with the sides. two regrets so far wish i had used 6x6 posts and wish i had left more overhang around it. but fairly happy with it so far! ideas for what to do with the sides welcome!!

Attachments

• DSCF2733.jpg
    DSCF2733.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 786
  • DSCF2734.jpg
    DSCF2734.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 807
  • DSCF2735.jpg
    DSCF2735.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF2737.jpg
    DSCF2737.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 832
looks awesome

latice or decking

i'm leaning towards decking widely spaced, not a huge fan of lattice. thanx. hopefully i'll get it done this weekend, that will probably depend on my level of beer intake ;-)

prairiefire said:
i'm leaning towards decking widely spaced, not a huge fan of lattice. thanx. hopefully i'll get it done this weekend, that will probably depend on my level of beer intake ;-)

yep same here decking is the best way with ss deck screws

If I built something that fancy I'd have to keep an eye out for the tax man.

:)

I'm no builder so here goes:

How do you attach the top rafters to the runners?, are they nailed in ie) toenailed?

If possible, could you post a closeup pic of how the top is attached?

Thanks

billb3 said:
If I built something that fancy I'd have to keep an eye out for the tax man.

:)
not real sticky with the taxes or biulding codes out here. i live in the country about 32 miles from the nearest city. i can almost do anything i want and no one cares. ;-) thanx for saying it's nice!!

Brackley said:
I'm no builder so here goes:

How do you attach the top rafters to the runners?, are they nailed in ie) toenailed?

If possible, could you post a closeup pic of how the top is attached?

Thanks
you can either toe nail them or if you live in an area with higher winds you can use hurricane straps as well. i bird mouthed (notched) the rafters where they attach to the beam i toe nailed (screwed) them and will add some metal strapping i'm going to bend up to fit. i forgot to buy the hurricane straps when i went to the city :-S . i'll see if i can get some pics when done. thanx

prairiefire said:

if you need help with the beer just let me know

i can always use help with the beer, get on the plane hopefully there is still some left by the time you get here :lol:

prairiefire said:
i can always use help with the beer, get on the plane hopefully there is still some left by the time you get here :lol:
I'll bring some for the ride! Canada for the weekend sweeet I'll bring the gear and fill that shed for you

well i've been into the beer already helping the nieghbor out at the pasture, going over for some more soon! come on up to canada eh doors always open!

Looking forward to the pics. It just looks so neat and aesthetic (if wood can ever be aesthetic)

Does not look too difficult either.

I'm on the north shore of Prince Edward Island and we can and do get hurricane force winds, so I will have to build it sturdy

It looks great! Did you sink any footers; IE: How did you attach it to the ground?

Something like this could be a solution for my situation, but we'll get anywhere from 30 to 60 mile an hours winds on occasion here and I'd need to have something like that bolted down.

thanks! the post are in the ground 3.5' and cemented in. build it sturdy and it should stand up to those winds!

A couple of ideas for the sides of your wood shed.

I used stockage fence for my wood shed. I just took a hand held circular saw to cut off the points at the top & used 4-- 3 inch or 4 inch drywall screws on each of the three runners into the 4 x 4 posts. My wood shed is 8' x 8' so a 6 ft x 8 ft stockade fence was the cat's meyow.

even cheaper, use the wood pried off of wood pallets with a 6 ft pry bar for the sides of the wood shed.

If you can scrounge some free plywood, www.craigslist.com ,that will work too.

Or disassemble some free shipping crates.

If you don't use it for the shed, burn it in the stove.

prairiefire, How long are those 4x4's? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.