1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Started The Pallet Wood Shed...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Cross Cut Saw, Sep 3, 2012.

1. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I think the shed looks fine, like Scotty said once its done you can slap some brown stain on it and it'll look ten times better. I found out you slide 2 x 4's inside the pallets and extend it to the adjacent ones it holds them together better. I started building one but didnt like the spot it was so I tore it down and just made some long racks with covers. Better use of my limited space.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Good deal post pics when your done please
  3. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    Only the roof and some paint left....

2012-09-09 14.42.37.jpg
    Put a tarp over it for now, it's a little over half full with 1.5 cords of wood.
    2012-09-09 14.42.26.jpg
    Got the side panels from work for free ::-)
    2012-09-09 14.42.11.jpg
    Time to watch some football while my wife and mother in law have a heated discussion in the kitchen, avoiding that one like the plague!
    weatherguy, chvymn99, raybonz and 2 others like this.
  4. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    Reminds me of a conversation at work a few weeks back...

Joe: Hey, Jerry, have you seen the new Porsche yet?

Jerry: Can you put firewood in it?

Joe: Nevermind...
    zap, CageMaster and rowerwet like this.
  5. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    We had very strong winds last night and on my way in I was excited to see if the rest of that maple was still standing...
    It's not! I've never been so excited for a tree to be blown over.
    I'm going to call the child care center later this morning and see if the rest of it can be left for me to pick up.
    Pictures to follow of course!
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    HehHeh . . . I was half wondering if I should have drove in with the truck this morning to pick up any scrounges. In the end I opted to be a fair weather scrounger and save on gas . . . drove the Accord instead . . . but I will keep an eye out while I am out . . . in case there are any pickings for tomorrow.

Good luck with the maple!
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Hopefully it is built where you can replace those pallets under the wood. If they are on the ground ya got about two to three years before they rot from moisture in the ground.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Pallet Pete gives this the Pallet A+ Rating ;) Nice Job very effective ! Dont be surprised if some pallets come up missing. ;lol

Pete
    zap likes this.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    It's almost empty! !!!
    It held just over 2 1/2 cords according to the calculators and I moved a face cord out of it today and onto my rack on the back porch.
    I think I might just break down and cough up some dough for some kiln dried wood and let the stuff that has been stacked since May sit there until next fall when it will be really ready to go.

I never did put any metal roofing on, the whole thing cost me $50 so I didn't see the point in spending real dough on a roof for the thing. I have a tarp on it that fits perfect and the wood has been nice and dry all season inside so I guess it works...
  10. 69911e

69911e Member

Loc:
    CT
    logging+truck1348625044.jpg
    Use this for a wood hauler instead.
    mattjm1017 and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Nice job on that cross cut. I am always thinking safety. Did you use some heavy screws in certain areas of that shed. I can tell you from experience a lot of the screws they sell today aren't worth a chit. I have gone back and backed some of them out and put heavier deck screws in their place to be sure things held together. Do not want to see something falling over and having a bunch more work to do because of cheap screws. And I have little kids like you. Keep them little buggers safe man. Again. Nice work. I like the way it looks. A metal roof added would be nicer than the tarp. Big storms will be coming sooner or later. Metal roof man. :)