Starting to get caught up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I've been playing catch up around here but I'm finally gaining some ground. It was hard enough to manage my time between the wife and 3 year old but now with a 3 month old it's even more fun to plan out "wood working time".

I split what should be a few cords worth of silver maple and cherry, some honey locust and some ash this weekend. Only thing I have to split now is a trailer load of white oak and maybe a 1/3 cord of chunks. The fun part will be stacking. :(

I think I lost 10 pounds from sweating this weekend but after dinner I think I put them back on. ;lol I hate working on the wood pile this time of year!

Pictures never do the large heaps justice. ;)

Attachments

• P7210124 (Large).JPG
    P7210124 (Large).JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 204
  • P7220131 (Large).JPG
    P7220131 (Large).JPG
    197 KB · Views: 210
  • P7210127 (Large).JPG
    P7210127 (Large).JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 213
Rdust.... You have a very nice place there. And also have a lot of stacking to do. :)

The heat has been bad. I have been workin at it for 2 months also. The heat is miserable. Although the last week isnt as hot as the last month, its still Hot.

Thats a big pile you got. Lookin forward to pics of the finished stacks......

For us that know, the pictures do more than justice. Some serious work there & with the heat you're having, lots of sweat too. ;)
Big pile !, looks taller than the vertical splitter.
Lots of BTUs ,
The 3 year old will love helping stack. May take a bit longer with the helper, lots of learning & fun for kids ;)

Pretty soon you'll have room to start a new pile of rounds. ==c

Good job.!

Nice job getting all that done in this heat. Hope you're not overdoing it though, and taking in lots of water.
I'd forgotten how time consuming having kids around can be, until a couple days ago when 2 of our grandaughters came home with Bev.!!!
I don't work anymore, but this is starting to feel like a job.
They did help move a bit of firewood, but we had to stop when the sprinkles started. Can't let 'em melt.:rolleyes:

I'm always amazed at how small the pile looks after it's beens stacked.
Weird thing for me is now that I finished with the wood, I'm kind of at a loss of what to do.

Reactions: Realstone
Great start especially with the heat to contend with. I see you stack and cover, time to think about a woodshed.

The picture shows some nice work (big pile) you thought you lost weight splitting ==c the stacking should take off even more. Actually the kids will keep you busy enough, nice job.

zap

For us that know, the pictures do more than justice. Some serious work there & with the heat you're having, lots of sweat too. ;)
Big pile !, looks taller than the vertical splitter.
Lots of BTUs ,
The 3 year old will love helping stack. May take a bit longer with the helper, lots of learning & fun for kids ;)

Pretty soon you'll have room to start a new pile of rounds. ==c

Good job.!

+1, we all know what it took to achieve that pile of wood, good job. Nice tractor too.

rdust, that is a nice pile of wood. I can also understand the losing of 10 lbs. lol Just one more reason I cut wood when it is cool or cold outside.

rdust, that is a nice pile of wood. I can also understand the losing of 10 lbs. lol Just one more reason I cut wood when it is cool or cold outside.

I hear you Dennis, I also hate working in the heat. I've been playing catch up since the back surgery but I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll be back to 3 years ahead or more after it gets stacked up.

I see you stack and cover, time to think about a woodshed.

Someday but it won't be anytime soon. Even after I build a shed I'll still season it outside before it goes into the shed. It will also create another time that I have to handle the wood, it's already bad enough! :)

Thanks guys, I knew my fellow wood nuts would appreciate the heap. ;lol

Someday but it won't be anytime soon. Even after I build a shed I'll still season it outside before it goes into the shed. It will also create another time that I have to handle the wood, it's already bad enough! :)

Thanks guys, I knew my fellow wood nuts would appreciate the heap. ;lol
I love big heaps of wood. Nice work rdust. Build that wood shed some day. You won't be sorry. My brother once looked in my wood shed and said "you don't need to put wood inside". I said "Oh, it's not for the wood, it's for ME!" ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Wood sheds are nice but certainly not necessary. We've had wood sheds and not had wood sheds. Now I use the barn. If we didn't have the barn I would have no problems. If not a wood shed then it is certainly best to have a hard covering on the wood rather than tarps. Somehow using tarps looks terrible and doesn't work all that great. We've used a tarp every now and then but any more I think I'd almost rather leave the wood uncovered than to use a tarp. The old galvanized roofing really works great for us.

I love big heaps of wood. Nice work rdust. Build that wood shed some day. You won't be sorry. My brother once looked in my wood shed and said "you don't need to put wood inside". I said "Oh, it's not for the wood, it's for ME!" ;)

I like the avatar Steve.

Reactions: PapaDave
Stacked the heap today, it was almost a 3 cord heap.(2 3/4 or so) All I have to do now is split/stack some chunks and finish splitting then stack about a cord of white oak.

Oh and if I get ambitious dig a heap of white ash out of the bush that is split and heaped up. I didn't get it out before the underbrush grew up so it may sit until fall hits and the leaves drop.

I think I'll have between 18 and 19 cords when all is said and done. :cool:

Pictures never do the large heaps justice. ;)
I know what you mean. We need a short course on good photography here ==c
But the tractor beside the woodpile gives it perspective. That is one large wood heap!

You're right, season it uncovered! Your shed only needs to be big enough for one seasons worth of wood, so 4 cords maybe? So roughly 8' high x 5' deep x 14' wide. Just dreaming of what i would do if I had a place like yours ;)

Stacked the heap today, it was almost a 3 cord heap.(2 3/4 or so) All I have to do now is split/stack some chunks and finish splitting then stack about a cord of white oak.

Oh and if I get ambitious dig a heap of white ash out of the bush that is split and heaped up. I didn't get it out before the underbrush grew up so it may sit until fall hits and the leaves drop.

I think I'll have between 18 and 19 cords when all is said and done. :cool:

Keep at it and you'll be ahead of me in no time at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.