Startup AirControl on Quadrafire i4100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipThatLog

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Southern NH
A question for any of the Quadrafire i4100 owners out there. What's the typical full-off setting length/distance on the startup air control rod for a i4100? I could almost swear that the control rod pulled out further when I first got our insert last Fall (Sept 2008); that it's fully extended/off position was about equal to that of the primary air control. It now looks like the startup air control is about 1/2 the length of the primary air control. I noticed when our stove ran alittle hotter than it should with a medium load of firewood.

I'm wondering if ash has clogged up the mechancial linkage between the vents and the startup air control rod. I clean out ash on a regular basis, but don't have an ash vacuum, for instance.

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Mike

Mine is 4 years old, so bear that in mind: Full off or out on the startup control is a bit less than half the distance as the primary air control. But, I can pull the startup out further if I try (with some resistance). When I had the shop's guys out for maintenance I asked them about how "sticky" this lever was (when I was pulling it out with resistance) and they told me I didn't need to pull it out that far, as the air was already closed off earlier in the lever's travel.

For what it's worth....

MarkG

I got mine this year and I second MarkG. Mine has always worked like this so I consider it normal operation. You may just be experiencing a brain fart ... happens to me ll the time.

Thanks Mark & Paral -- I guess I'm seeing normal operation.

yukiginger said:
Mine is 4 years old, so bear that in mind: Full off or out on the startup control is a bit less than half the distance as the primary air control. But, I can pull the startup out further if I try (with some resistance). When I had the shop's guys out for maintenance I asked them about how "sticky" this lever was (when I was pulling it out with resistance) and they told me I didn't need to pull it out that far, as the air was already closed off earlier in the lever's travel.

For what it's worth....

MarkG

PARAL said:
I got mine this year and I second MarkG. Mine has always worked like this so I consider it normal operation. You may just be experiencing a brain fart ... happens to me ll the time.

Roger that. Probably was a BF. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.