1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

State forrest firewood permits !

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Pallet Pete, Nov 18, 2012.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Pete,

Here are the counties that the fuel wood request form says you can get a permit for. GLADWIN, CLARE, MIDLAND, ISABELLA, IOSCO, ARENAC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Thanks rdust those counties would be a big drive so I guess that is a no go for me.

Pete
  3. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    Red Oak, where or how did you get your National Forest permit in Virginia? Osagebow, where and how did did you get your Virginia forest permit? Is yours a state forest permit or national? I used to have one when I lived in Washington State, and would like to acquire one or both here. Thanks.
  4. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    I just went to the Ranger Office. They give you a form to mark off loads (should display while you're cutting) and a map if you want it. I can go anywhere in the Lee Ranger District, which extends over to Fort Valley in one direction and into West Virginia in the other. A lot of the forestry roads get little traffic, and at the right time of year, a tree can come down close to the road and stay there for weeks. Where in western VA are you?
  5. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    I'm in Botetourt County, red oak. About a half hour north of Roanoke. I'll see if I can track down a rangers office. We're only a short drive from the National Forest. Are the Rangers Office's in the phone book? I don't know where one is around here. Thanks for the info.

Mike
  6. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Yes I originally called them. I'm in Shenandoah County and they are in the phone book here.
  7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    In California, you can get permits to cut dead or down trees in the National Forest for what I think is ridiculously cheap (like $25 for 4 cords minimum?). I'm pulling out of the Stanislaus National Forest, but I imagine it's the same for others? I also get the occasional permits from the BLM if there's something tasty on land in their jurisdiction. I must say that while it was tricky to get a hold of the right person at the local BLM chapter, they were exceptionally helpful (and cheap too).
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    look up nat forests in your state, on the net. GO to USFS website. IT will list ranger districts and you go there in person to get a $20 permit.
  9. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    Thanks clemsonfor and red oak.

Mike
  10. bcfarms

bcfarms New Member

Loc:
    Chaplin, CT
    I've gotten the CT permit in the past. It is given by a lottery type system and a limited amount are appropriated per county. It's $60 for 2 cord that they mark in a designated area by the state forester. The last two years the wood has been primarily birch. Three years ago is was more varied and was basically remnants from a logging operation. It's not huge tree but it all burns and its usually way over 2 cord that they mark in everyone's individual lot.