Static Pressure - PSG Caddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2013
New York
Hello All,

I own a PSG Caddy wood furnace which (as you know) distributes heat via a blower/forced air/metal ductwork. I have been reading about HVAC "static pressure" and I would like to measure my own to gauge the efficiency of my setup.

The furnace manual states: "The blower speed . . . should respect the static pressure ranges in the warm air plenum of the furnace."

The recommended static pressure range is 0.2" water column (min.) to 0.5" water column (max.). The manual shows a diagram pointing to a "Static Pressure Checkpoint, 0.2" WC min." on the side of the warm air plenum, directly in the center.

Does this mean I should drill a pitot hole in the plenum at this point and use a manometer to measure the positive pressure? If so, should I measure while the blower is on or off? While the furnace is hot or cold? And how should I close the hole after taking the measurement?

Thanks!

Yes, you need to drill a hole. In order to measure pressure, the blower must be running. It doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold. After testing, the hole wont matter, but you could use a piece of aluminum tape to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.