Steel brush for stainless insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford or Chevy?

You will be fine with that brush. Some claim that a poly is "better" cuz it wont scratch, yada, yada...
Your not going to hurt your stainless insert with that brush.

my only concern would be if you had an ovalized section or a bend where the brush could get tight. If that were the case, I'd personally feel better about being a little rough in pushing a poly brush through over a steel brush.

In the end, trust the box and use common sense. Just don't be abusive when cleaning.

pen

All the flex liners we install say to Not use steel brushes. If you have a flex liner I would follow there directions, I have never needed a a steel brush to clean a flex liner. I think pulling stuff apart is a bigger risk than scratching it.

Whoops, don't know why I put "insert" Must have been reading something else or talking on the phone at the same time I wrote that.

6" Metalbestos chimney, no bends, curves or anything.

I think you will be just fine, just make sure it will reverse in the chimney before you get too far out of reach. ;-)

webby3650 said:
All the flex liners we install say to Not use steel brushes. If you have a flex liner I would follow there directions,

Good point - I did not consider flex. Doesn't everybody have the same thing as I do??? :lol:

I would only use a poly brush on a class A chimney, and I would buy it from my local hearth shop if it was me.

Already done did cleaned it out :)

Brush is tight that I don't think I can reverse it to do up and down motion. I didn't force super hard, probably shouldn't have been even doing it with my broken back, but I sucked it up for a bit. Once I hit the cap no problem pulling it back down.

Would be easier to go from up top but chimney is too tall so I'd have to pull it apart. Not to mention walking on a 6/12 roof with ice and snow not long after I fell off... not going to happen soon. Tempting fate once was enough for me for a while!

thanks for the follow up update. Too many guys forget to do that as it helps everyone in the future who is searching.

Glad to hear it went well for you.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.