Steel Log Rack with Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnhaven

Dec 30, 2014
Bellingham, WA
I know I should build a big wood shed, but the wife wants a chicken coop on our new property and I need a shed or leanto for my riding mower. So I'm looking for a quick route to firewood storage this spring. I have two cords piled up on top of plywood and tarped -- not great. I'm thinking put down some pressure-treated 4x4s and stack one cord of this wood properly, then tarp. ( this would be way back out of sight )

The other cord could be stacked and covered easily with a couple of these. The only advantage is these could be out in plain view behind the house and not be an eye sore.
http://www.wayfair.com/Pleasant-Hearth-Outdoor-Steel-Log-Rack-LS938-96SC-PSTH1053.html

Make a structure. Enclosed shed in the middle for mower, chicken coop on the one side, wood shed on other side?

That rack looks pricey. I've seen them for a lot cheaper.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Is WA Washington?
As in the state where it rains all the time?
Well, the eyesore element is a strong one.
Tubular steel racks hold up pretty good. But 139.00?
That is around 39.00 for the rack and 100.00 for the canvas/nylon? Cover.
Dunno, the rack itself will hold up well enough for several years. When you invest in racks like that you always use them. Even when you eventually go to a shed. They do look nice.
If I had money I would find a local blacksmith and have one custom made. I love wrought-iron. Go on Pinterest and look up wood racks. You will get global hits on wood rack design.
Okay...that is a little off topic. I know how I am when I want to buy something. You want people to tell you Go For It!!
So...go for it!!

20150111_104403.jpg Its all about answering your hearts desire.
This is a technique that is totally free.
Cribbing and it looks beautiful, as beautiful as it can get.
20150111_104411.jpg

Now those are some HOT pictures Applesister......thanks for sharing, I love the stone too.....

I know I should build a big wood shed, but the wife wants a chicken coop on our new property and I need a shed or leanto for my riding mower. So I'm looking for a quick route to firewood storage this spring. I have two cords piled up on top of plywood and tarped -- not great. I'm thinking put down some pressure-treated 4x4s and stack one cord of this wood properly, then tarp. ( this would be way back out of sight )

The other cord could be stacked and covered easily with a couple of these. The only advantage is these could be out in plain view behind the house and not be an eye sore.
http://www.wayfair.com/Pleasant-Hearth-Outdoor-Steel-Log-Rack-LS938-96SC-PSTH1053.html
You can find cheaper than that, keep looking, try homedepot.com and lowes.....image.jpgThis was $49, but I used to pay $39, 8 ft long. Also there are others on here that make their own for a lot less so keep searching before you pull the trigger....

All of these log racks will be on sale in about 1-1 1/2 Months at the box stores and tractor supply when they are clearing out the winter stuff for spring stuff. I got 8ft log racks at tractor supply last year for 40% off. I bought the last 2 they had(for $28.00 each) so you have to keep an eye out for when the sale starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.