steel plate vs. ceramic fiber boards as a baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
A buddy of mine wants to make his home made wood burning furnace more efficient.

He is toying with idea of a steel plate instead of ceramic fiber boards! Any reason to use ceramic fiber boards over steel?

Also he was thinking of using 316 stainless for the air tubes below the baffle.

Any thoughts????

I would say it has worked quite well. The stove seems to put out a lot more heat now. I have noticed that the stove top surface is hotter and the flue gas temp is lower. It seem seem use less wood than before. It's probably not as efficient as proper EPA stove.
There is no glass so I can't actually see if there is secondary combustion but I am pretty sure is is occurring because the temp keeps going up when I reduce the primary air, also the tube will glow read hot.

WES999 said:
I would say it has worked quite well. The stove seems to put out a lot more heat now. I have noticed that the stove top surface is hotter and the flue gas temp is lower. It seem seem use less wood than before. It's probably not as efficient as proper EPA stove.
There is no glass so I can't actually see if there is secondary combustion but I am pretty sure is is occurring because the temp keeps going up when I reduce the primary air, also the tube will glow read hot.

That's great!

Did you mean 204 or 304???

That should have been 304.

WES999 said:
That should have been 304.

It looks like you can see the info on the round tubing in one of the pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.