1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

steel roofing question

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by wrench340, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrench340

wrench340 Member

Loc:
    Durhamville,NY
    sorry way off the path here ,I'm building a new house for my mother and am using steel roofing .the question is do I need to put battons under the steel if I'm using spray foam insulation under the plywood ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oilstinks

oilstinks Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NC
    What is code in your area? If your using ply covering all the trusses or rafters then tar paper and screw to the ply roof. You can use bat strips but keep in mind the metal will sweat if the under side touches air sop many people put it straight to the tar paper and dont lift it off the roof with strips. Ive not out many tin roofs on but this is the way it is usually done around here. Ask around. See a metal roof some where stop and ask
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    I use perlins for the increased airflow. It also makes installation easier as you have something to walk on if it is a steeper roof. To make any eventual leak less catastrophic, I slot the perlins for drainage and rain/ice the whole deck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.