1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

steel toe vs composite

Post in 'The Gear' started by Prof, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    I was having a conversation with my cousin about safety when cutting wood. He insisted that his composite toe boots would protect him if the saw slips. I wasn't sure. I suggested that we try an experiment and he let me take a wack at his boot (without his foot in it), but he wasn't open to it. I think once he is ready for another pair we might have a Myth-busters style experiment in the making. I'll probably use an old chain though--mostly because I'm cheap. What do you think, would a composite toed boot provide protection? I suspect it would be better than a soft-toed boot, but short of a steel toe by a measure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Devin86

Devin86 New Member

Loc:
    Shinnston, WV
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Just one more reason I've worn steel-toed boots for over 25 years either when working for cash by myself or for regular employer.Long before OSHA rules made it mandatory on most jobs.Eventually gonna splurge for a pair of metatarsal chainsaw boots with the cut resistant sidewalls (about $300 & up).
    albert1029 and Nixon like this.
  4. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    Wow--not much need for discussion here!
  5. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    Suggestions for reasonably priced, comfortable steel toe boots?
  6. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I have a set of timberlands I really like and they were under 100 bucks.
  7. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
  8. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    The composites certainly have their practical uses. In lots of applications they're adequate protection. In the case of running a chainsaw, the steel caps are quite obviously superior.
  9. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    As far as boots go, I started wearing Georgia Boot Renegade 6" weatherproof steel toes when they were ~$100 at TSC. They went up in price, so I would buy my next pair with the TSC 10% off coupon that came in the mail. Now my local TSC stores stopped carrying them. :( I ordered my latest pair online from the store that gave me the best price. I still put those insoles in them.
  10. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    I have a pair of Wolvarines that are about $100. They are water proof and reasonably comfortable.BTW, my cousin is now in the market for a pair of steel toes :)
  11. charly

charly Guest

When I was on DOT's tree crew they would buy us Red Wing Gortex logging boots once a year! Some guys had 2-3 new pair still in the box.. I looked now they're like a 300 dollar boot!
  12. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    I wear logger boots. However I always thought of the steel toe as protection from a falling piece of wood or a bad roll when bucking as opposed to armor against a moving chain. I never gave much consideration to the chances of catching the bar across the toes. (And of course protection from an ax or maul when splitting).
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  13. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    My dad nearly cut off his toe with the chain saw. Forgot the steel toes, didn't realize it until he saw the blood bubbling up from under the log. Big toe was pretty much hanging by not a whole lot.
  14. BrianK

BrianK Guest

15. Bluezx636

Bluezx636 Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    charly likes this.