Steep roof, leaking flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
I was up in the attic putting the cover over the house fan and generally getting ready for winter, when I noticed dampness and evidence of considerable water running down from where the furnace chimney punches through the roof. Ordinarily, I'd get the bucket of tar and go slime the flashing (we were planning to do the whole roof next summer) but 1) it's the second floor, and 2) it's about a 10/12 pitch (not quite 45, but pretty noticeable). On the upside, it's asphalt shingles and the roof decking is actual 1x12 (like 4/4 stock - advantage to an old house) lumber, so I'm pretty sure I'm not goig to put a foot through.

So now I'm confronted by the dilemma - do I try to crawl around up there for a 15 minute job requiring essentially no skill (beyond walking on a steep roof) and no materials, or call in a contractor?

It's not so much the height that concerns me, it's fall...

Steve

I go through a similar thought process each year when I get my chimney cleaned. My house is an A frame and the chimney is way up there. After I watch the sweep balancing up there for fifteen minutes or so I'm more than happy to write my cheque for $60. The reward is simply not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.