Steve Appreciation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I'm gonna confess to some "stove envy" here.........as much as I like our new Avalon Rainier 90, (because it works well, and gives me a nice full view of the wood burning), I'm jealous of my neighbor, who has an older, more ornate stove, with a side loader ta boot!
His stove DOESN'T have the beautiful view of the fire that mine does, (and it's not an EPA rated stove). He says he wants to "go get one like mine" (and he's serious), but I'm still jealous.

Maybe one day I'll buy a second stove, or perhaps replace the one I have, with one that has a nice viewing window, and a side loader. One that has some of that old school design character. I wonder how tough it would be to pull out an existing stove, and replace it with another, using the same piping? (Since the section of pipe in the house is a "telescoping" type, and as long as the opening is the same diameter and shape on the stove, it ought to work, eh?)

-Soupy1957

Maybe Steve will sell you his old stove when he gets his new one

Hey Hanko, that plane looks to small to ride in but just big enough to scare the neighbors with

dont want to hijack this guys thread, Steve might get pissed, but its a 42% Weeks Solution, 28 lbs, 5.1 ci twin for power.

and i thought this thread was about me!!! ;)

Steve, is it you?

sure is!!! :D

and now.............back to the topic..........

-Soupy1957

As long as the stove you choose fits, and the outlet on the stove is same size as the old one, should be no problem.
You may need an adapter etc. But should be fairly easy to swap stoves out.

Edit: The one problem that might arise is the clearances to combustibles of the stove being put back in.
Make sure the stove does not require further clearances to combustibles, and if it does, make sure it still has the clearance.

Oslo? Not sure how/where your avalon is situated, but the oslo is a cast iron side loader with a 6" flue. It's on my list of possibles if I ever decide to retire the lopi.

The Resolute Acclaim is a topload, no side door. Read up on this stove and its reviews very carefully. The suggested Jotul F500 is a much better stove. However, you might prefer the look of the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, or a Hearthstone Bennington with a side door.

I thought it was about me. :mad:

The Hearthstone Bennington is nice, but I think if I had to do it over again, and couldn't find that antique style I'm looking for, I'd perhaps take a serious look at:

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=yosemite

I'm just gonna have to go to my neighbor's home and take a picture of his wood stove, and show ya what I mean.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
I'm gonna confess to some "stove envy" here.........as much as I like our new Avalon Rainier 90, (because it works well, and gives me a nice full view of the wood burning), I'm jealous of my neighbor, who has an older, more ornate stove, with a side loader ta boot!
His stove DOESN'T have the beautiful view of the fire that mine does, (and it's not an EPA rated stove). He says he wants to "go get one like mine" (and he's serious), but I'm still jealous.

Maybe one day I'll buy a second stove, or perhaps replace the one I have, with one that has a nice viewing window, and a side loader. One that has some of that old school design character. I wonder how tough it would be to pull out an existing stove, and replace it with another, using the same piping? (Since the section of pipe in the house is a "telescoping" type, and as long as the opening is the same diameter and shape on the stove, it ought to work, eh?)

-Soupy1957

Stove envy is inevitable when you become addicted to Hearth.com and get to see all of the wonderful stoves that folks have purchased and are happy with . . . so feel free to appreciate Steve and his taste in stoves . . . and being the good friend that you are you can let Steve know that there are many EPA stoves that can be just as fancy . . . and offer side loading . . . and offer a good view of the fire and clean burning to boot.

As to your question . . . how tough . . . depends . . . depends on the stove's height, way the stove is vented and the very important hearth and clearance requirements since these can and do vary between stove makes and models.

Status
Not open for further replies.