1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stickler log splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by brooktrout, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooktrout

brooktrout New Member

Loc:
    Hamden, NY
    Has anyone tried out this "Stickler log splitter" www.thestickler.com It attaches to the hub of a pickup and uses the engine torque to split wood. Their video impressed me. Whaddya think?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. brooktrout

brooktrout New Member

Loc:
    Hamden, NY
    I did a search AFTER I posted this, and found some info already there. Sorry guys. :red:
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Ha ha - I was just thinking 'It's about time for someone to bring up the Stickler again'
  4. dj2cohen

dj2cohen New Member

Loc:
    Southeast West Virginia
    Looks like a death trap to me. A really good way to get your intestines wrapped around the axle of the truck with one false slip.

My dad and I had one that went on the three point hitch and ran off of the tractor PTO. It was my job to feed the blasted thing while he used the maul to finish splitting the rounds with all of the splinters holding them together. Once while working in the snow, the maul came out of his hands and the handle hit my left hand on the side under the little finger. It shattered the bone needless to say and I almost found out how good that thing would screw into my belly.

Needless to say, I never used the thing again. I was only 16 and really didn't think too much about safety. I do now!
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I started a thread in the picture forum about the unicorn splitter which is pretty much a tractor mounted stickler. What the stickler lacks is that safety bar that holds the log from spinning and mroe importantly acts to prevent the operator from running his belly into the screw. I would have a very hard time using thess devices without that bar.
  6. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    Seen them for years at state fair and they seem to work great, (on the deom wood anywa) but I would have a hard time with or without the bar stop!
    No estop, no 'let go of the handle and motion stops'.....

scary to me.
    k
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.