Sticks in shoulder season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
I get a fair amount of my wood from my local golf course. The greens keeper sets aside wood when they take down a tree. He bucks it all up. He even stacks all of the sticks, cut to 16 inches. There is probably almost 2 full cords of sticks(1-2 inch diameter) does anyone burn these for shoulder season?

You can certainly use them, but they need time to season just like regular splits. I have two pallets of smaller branches/sticks that I'll use for the shoulder season and fire pit. If they were from a standing dead tree, they could even be dry enough to burn. Best to split them with a hatchet and check them for moisture content.

Last edited:
heck yeah I'd use them. I'm sure season time on small sticks is drastically reduced because of the surface:volume ratio. Free BTUs, already cut to size and neatly stacked for your taking? You'd be crazy not to take them and burn them...

Edit: small story: In July 2010 my neighbor had several trees cut down, I decided to cut some of the wood for camping. I got addicted to cutting wood and ordered my stove in August 2010. While some of the wood was Ash, poplar, and silver maple, quite a bit was oak. I was really pushing the limits on burning properly seasoned wood. But red oak loses bark like crazy if it's dried a bit before splitting. Seeing as how my wood wasn't really seasoned by October/November and I didn't have much "good wood", I didn't want to burn my good wood for shoulder season. I burned nothing but red oak bark the entire month of October and most of November because that was my only realistic option. I made it through that first winter just fine and here I am several years later still burning and I have a 7 year wood stash out back (no need to worry about seasoned wood again, my only concern is wood that rots before I can get it burned).

I've heated with stuff like that, that I collected from yard fall for a weekend at a time. If I'm home and there to feed the stove it's kind of fun and feels extra free somehow.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Oh yeah I would burn those. I would be hooking the greenskeeper up with a case of beverages every couple months too.

Season first yes. At the end of summer I would split 5 or 6 of the little ones and ass\u\me the rest were about as dry.

At my house I expect the one inchers to be dry in one summer

Reactions: Fred Wright
Yes, absolutely. We use 'em to start (and resurrect) fires. Small stuff burns quite well. Hotter than splits from the main stem, according to some accounts. Guess branches are more dense?

Got a face cord of 1" to 2" from a pin oak a couple years back. Playing pick up sticks in the woods isn't my choice for amusement but I just couldn't leave that oak to rot. It'll be used this winter coming.

Last edited:
I burn anything made from wood...... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.