Sticky air control on a Hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTHC

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2009
Northwestern Vermont
Does anyone else have this problem with their Hearthstone? I have the Shelburne which is one of their non-cat cast iron models, so I'm not sure if the soapstones have the same air control. Lever on the bottom left side of the stove - pull forward = max air; push back = min air. Mine gets stuck in the max position and i have to exert quite a bit of force to get it un-stuck. This weekend i had to use a small split to sort of bang it out of position. I tried to look under the stove to see if anything was getting jammed in the mechanism, but couldn't see anything and couldn't investigate too much because the stove was pretty hot. Could it be something in the firebox that is impeding the movement? Ashes where they are not supposed to be? Bad air control design?

Really strange about your air control. Mine is just the opposite: it moves with just the slightest touch. If you flicked it with your little fingernail when forward, it would bounce off of the back position. I have to be really careful to watch it move, so that I don't move it too much.

When I first got it, I looked underneath with a mirror and flashlight and didn't see any way to adjust the tightness. I asked about it on this forum and someone (a dealer?) replied that it isn't adjustable. Please post if you find any more info...

P.S. It's just a sliding piece of metal. Maybe ashes or something has gotten jammed up in yours. When stove is cool, you might try some silicone spray up in there.

Yeah, it's kind of weird. The action is fine until i get to a certain point right before "Max" air. Then it seems to hang up a bit and then it gets stuck. Everything else is smooth (but not as loose as you describe). If it were some type of issue with ash/dirt/splinters/etc. where in the fire box should i be looking that would contribute to the hang up? I'm not even sure where the primary air comes into the fire box (other than the "air wash" on the window).

I've never seen an exploded diagram of a Shelburne nor a schematic of airflow. All I've seen is what you can see with a mirror and a flashlight...sorry.

My Hearthstone has a different control... It is a Mansfield soapstone unit that goes left/right not in/out. I hope someone with the same control can help.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
is the bolt it hinges on too tight?
does this happen only when the stove is really hot?

Haven't checked the bolt yet. I let the fire die out this morning, so when i get home from work i can inspect it more closely (w/out singing my eyebrows!).
The action is not affected by temperature - it is sticky around max air even if there is no fire. Last night i noticed that it was getting a bit rough throughout the travel span. Hoping it's just a case of needing some lubrication (lithium grease?).

OK I just cant resist any longer,,,, So what you are saying is it isn't going in and out correctly, semms to be somewhat sticky, even when you air control is on full "BLOW" and now you want to know what kind of lubrication to use? ..... Is this a stove we are talking about here ?

Sheesh!
I was wondering if the lubrication comment would draw some type of innuendo...
To clarify: the air control is more of a front to back deal, not an in and out - sorry to mess with your theory. :)

"Haven’t checked the bolt yet. I let the fire die out this morning, so when i get home from work i can inspect it more closely..."

So, we've been up all night, waiting to hear what happened?!

Can't really speak specifically to the Hearthstone, but I know Oslos are notorious for having the air lever become a bit sticky . . . usually from a bit of ash or other gunk getting in the mechanism . . . fortunately it's an easy fix . . . after accessing the lever and slide mechanism I vacuum out (while the stove is cool) the ash and gunk and then apply a liberal amount of graphite powder (found at any hardware store) on the metal . . . after that it slides slicker than . . . well it just slides wicked good.

firefighterjake said:
after accessing the lever and slide mechanism I vacuum out (while the stove is cool) the ash and gunk and then apply a liberal amount of graphite powder (found at any hardware store) on the metal . . . after that it slides slicker than . . . well it just slides wicked good.

Checked out the bolt, but it didn't seem too tight (or loose), so tonight I will take the shop-vac to the mechanism/air intake area after i clean out the ashes (a little overdue). Didn't have time to futz with it for too long last night. House temp was down to 60*, and wife was getting antsy for some heat.

Graphite powder is a good idea - thanks Jake!

Gosh darn it, my wife and I stayed up all night again last night, waiting to hear the results! What happened with the shop-vac and graphite?

My Homestead has the same type of control and has become sticky in the fully open position. I can get it to slide easily by tapping on the stud at the end of the sliding plate from underneath with a gloved hand. I don't like forcing the lever that actuates the plate. I will dissamble, inspect, clean and lubricate the plate with graphite as has been suggested. Any other insight on this problem with these specific stoves? Has anyone contacted the factory regarding this issue?
Thanks!

I had to pull the air control off my Homestead, 4 screws, and then one for the handle pivot, on mine, the "gate" was bent a bit.. it is a simple design, look under the stove, see the screws, remove.

Thanks DD. I tried to remove the air control this morning when the stove was cool. The 4 phillips head screws that hold it to the bottom of the stove are buggered and will be difficult to remove without pulling the stove out and lifting it up to provide good access so I didn't push issue too much. They must have been over-tigtened at the factory since I have never tried to remove this part in the 3 years since I purchased the stove new. Go figure! I went to plan B and took a plastic eyedropper, dipped it in some powdered graphite (that I have for another purpose), and blew several small bursts of graphite into the edges of the slot that the plate slides in. It worked like a charm and the plate now moves very freely. This sticking problem could have caused a situation in that the pivot screw became loose and nearly fell out from all of the jiggling of the air control lever. I'm glad it's fixed and I educated the family on keeping an eye on the lever tightness. I'll probably try to remove and replace the buggered screws sometime when I have to stove pulled out for cleaning etc. BTW, A small jar of powdered graphite is a hande item to have around the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.