Sticky creosote after two break-in burns—a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I've done two break-in burns on my Fireview now, and I went up top to raise the liner a bit. (The pipe going to my tee was angled down slightly toward the back, so I had to correct it.)

Anyway, the inside of my stainless flex pipe had visible, sticky, blackish resin. Not opaque by any means, but there. Now, of course, the break-in burns aren't supposed to get very, and I did make the mistake of using too much wood on the first burn, so even after I shut the air control down, the remaining two splits continued to smolder for hours.

Is it normal to get some creosote from the low-level break-in fires? Did I cause more creosote because of the extended smoldering? Is this anything to worry about, or will the normal burning to follow clean the pipe out pretty well?

Yeah, I know smoldering isn't good. I wouldn't have done that if I'd understood the break-in process better, and I won't in the future.

Don't sweat it. The low and slow of the break in will tend to do that. After your first "real" fire when you get the beast cooking, it will burn off. If you need a piece of mind, check it after a couple of full burns.

EDIT: Whoops, you've already did your second!

Your second break-in fire should be kindling and 2 small splits. Let it burn and do no more until the stove cools. Then the third fire put in 3 or even 4 small splits. This should get the temperature up and light the cat. After that you are ready to go. I'd bet on your 4th fire or after the 4th fire that you will like what you see and there will be no creosote problem.

Be sure to get that stove up to temperature before engaging the cat too.

btw, on our break-in fires, the window got all black as did the door and all around the inside of the stove. That did not last very long. Once we got a good fire things cleaned right up.

Be calm dreezon!

Backwoods Savage said:
EDIT: Whoops, you've already did your second!

Your second break-in fire should be kindling and 2 small splits. Let it burn and do no more until the stove cools. Then the third fire put in 3 or even 4 small splits. This should get the temperature up and light the cat. After that you are ready to go. I'd bet on your 4th fire or after the 4th fire that you will like what you see and there will be no creosote problem.

Be sure to get that stove up to temperature before engaging the cat too.

btw, on our break-in fires, the window got all black as did the door and all around the inside of the stove. That did not last very long. Once we got a good fire things cleaned right up.

Be calm dreezon!

I did go with two small splits for the second, but I think it may have been a moot point after the way I over did it on the first fire. Fortunately, as I noted on the other thread, I did not crack the furnace cement. And yes, now, I will proceed to four small splits and let it burn until it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.