Stihl 011 lives again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
My old man bought this saw back in the late 80's. He's used it on and off over the years but it doesn't have many hours on it. When I started cutting for the stove he brought it out when helping me. It died a couple years back which we traced to the coil and the handle was also broke.

I tracked down the parts on ebay and bought them for my dad since he's always helping me out. I dropped them off last week and this week when I was picking up my kid(they watch the grandkids a couple days a week) he gave me the saw telling me to save my money for a limbing saw(been mentioning picking up a small saw for limbing) and give this one a try. So today I had my local hardware store make me a loop of Oregon Chain 91VXL and took it for a spin. I had to shorten some limb size pieces and it worked great. This saw isn't powerful by any stretch but it runs great and cuts smooth so I think I'll run it for a while before spending any money on a newer model.

Attachments

• DSC_0088_3426.jpg
    DSC_0088_3426.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0091_3429.jpg
    DSC_0091_3429.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 419
Good looking saw.

I always liked mine. Funny, you say your old man bought it in the 80s. I'm an old man now and I got mine in the 80s as well. Kept us warm for free until I made enough money to buy my wood. Still have it, even spent $40 recently to get it brought up to good running condition. My new Dolmar 420 cuts circles around it, but it's still a nice little saw to have around the house.

I have an 011 and it's a great little saw for what it is, just keep the chain sharp. It's a good compliment to my 028. Great for cutting up smaller stuff and a lot lighter than the 028

Battenkiller said:
I always liked mine. Funny, you say your old man bought it in the 80s. I'm an old man now and I got mine in the 80s as well. Kept us warm for free until I made enough money to buy my wood. Still have it, even spent $40 recently to get it brought up to good running condition. My new Dolmar 420 cuts circles around it, but it's still a nice little saw to have around the house.

It'll have it's use and that is to limb branches so I'm ok if it cuts a little slower. It looks like we'll loose a good amount or even all of our snow this week so this weekend I may be able to get out and do some cutting with it. I spent 15 bucks on a coil and I think 20 on the handle so I'm feeling pretty good about what I spent. :)

blel said:
I have an 011 and it's a great little saw for what it is, just keep the chain sharp. It's a good compliment to my 028. Great for cutting up smaller stuff and a lot lighter than the 028

I like it so far with the limited cutting I've done with it. The 361 is a great saw but lugging it for a full day of cutting tends to get old.

smokinjay said:
Good looking saw.

It's in pretty good shape, heck it's cleaner than my 361 that for sure! My 361 has had a tough life! :lol:

rdust said:
smokinjay said:
Good looking saw.

It's in pretty good shape, heck it's cleaner than my 361 that for sure! My 361 has had a tough life! :lol:

I love my 192t that looks real close. Even though it alot older.

I picked one up for the 'ol lady last fall. Her saw. Limbing and knocking over small Aspen, she's looking forward to giving it a workout. She's even got new chaps, gloves, and a hardhat. I want to figure out if a muff. mod. is doable and worth it.

I'll post some pics of the mint 009 I have---got it over the christmas break....it was from the 80's also. It was used probably one time. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.