Stihl 026 Muffler mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Can someone tell me how to adjust the "H" mixture on an 026 pro? I did the muffler mod (7/16 x 1.5") and want to adjust the fuel settings, but where the "h" would normally be there is nothing but metal. The hole for it was plugged with a rubber plug. Anyone have one of these and done it? I tried searching but didn't find any info. Thanks.

If its a pro 026 there will be a h screw check under the rubber plug, if there isnt a screw for it then its not a pro.if not you will have to change the carb out.

No screw under plug. I was told it was a pro by the Stihl dealer because it's got the easy start feature and metal oiler container. Does that mean that someone stuck a different carb in there and they took me?

freeburn said:
No screw under plug. I was told it was a pro by the Stihl dealer because it's got the easy start feature and metal oiler container. Does that mean that someone stuck a different carb in there and they took me?

does it have a decompression value on the top of the saw?

freeburn said:
Y it does on the decompression valve

wow the h and L screw should be there unless someone change the carb out to the non-pro for some odd reason?

I called the place I got it from, he said that the older ones were preset for EPA, some crap like that. So, it's either fix my muffler now, or get a new carb with the "h" and "l" setting. Stupid. . .

freeburn said:
I called the place I got it from, he said that the older ones were preset for EPA, some crap like that. So, it's either fix my muffler now, or get a new carb with the "h" and "l" setting. Stupid. . .

pro saw's are just that pro and that means you can adjust the carb epa wasn't that strict on the 026.. seems odd but a new carb is around 40.00 bucks.. I think the 026 is less restive and if you can put it back stock that's what i would do until you can locate a carb.

Apparently, when EPA standards came out they took the H limit off the 026 and since the carb has been so problematic they put them back on the MS260. Now on the newest saws they are putting a limiter along with a connection to the coil to compensate. Sounds like too much technology to me. Anyone have a WT426 carb you want to get rid of? I'm serious.

freeburn said:
Apparently, when EPA standards came out they took the H limit off the 026 and since the carb has been so problematic they put them back on the MS260. Now on the newest saws they are putting a limiter along with a connection to the coil to compensate. Sounds like too much technology to me. Anyone have a WT426 carb you want to get rid of? I'm serious.

you can find them on ebay

I've heard those are the WT426A models. Problematic at best. Now I'm coming to find out that the WT-194 is the predecessor to the WT-426 and seems to be more adjustable pre-EPA. Dealers don't want to sell them though. Maybe I'll try to find one of those. . .

freeburn said:
I've heard those are the WT426A models. Problematic at best. Now I'm coming to find out that the WT-194 is the predecessor to the WT-426 and seems to be more adjustable pre-EPA. Dealers don't want to sell them though. Maybe I'll try to find one of those. . .

your on it

Freeburn, what you have learned is spot on. Lot of changes with the 026/260 carbs. Looks like you have one without the H adjustment. The 194 is the one you want but the 426 will also do the trick. Post again when you track one down. The 194 and 426 may come with limit caps that will need trimmed for full adjustability and reinstalled (very simple procedure).

I just orderd a 194 and I'm going to swap the Intellicarb snorkel on my 403A for the flat plate on the 194. Should fit without a hitch. If it doesn't for some reason, I'll plug up the filter and run it without intellicarb snorkel.

My not so nice mufler mod..........

Attachments

• 800x400PIC_0787.jpg
    800x400PIC_0787.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,550
Status
Not open for further replies.