Stihl 028 - no spark, now no fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Went to buck up some deadfall the other day, first run of the year. Fresh ethanol free fuel - started as per usual (2-3 pulls choked, catches then runs), did 5-6 cuts on a 18” stem and it cut out. Not running out of fuel cut out, like died instantly cut out (electrical). Tried to start it again, worked for another cut then died the same way.

Checked for spark, nothing. Got a new coil off Amazon, installed - still no spark. Tried a new spark plug and bam… never seen a plug outright fail but ok. Good strong spark now, tried to start and nothing. No fuel on electrode.

Tried original coil just becauae - good spark, still no start. Pulled carb, cleaned it out, everything looks good. Pulled fuel filter, ensured line was clear, all good.

Any thoughts? Something else i might be missing?

Does it run if you shoot a few drops of fuel in the cylinder?

It sputters a bit like it normally does when it wants to catch but doesn’t actually run.

I'd guess it's the carb, Fuel tank full? Got to be a fuel issue.

Tight connection on plug cap to plug?

Impulse line ok? hard to see when they gets cracks in them.

Last edited:
Full of fuel, impulse line and plug cap good. Ordered a carb off the net, will be here Wednesday and see if it changes anything. Have a Jonsered 630 I could use instead but it’s heavy and I’m old and get sore easy lol. See a 260 on the local classified site for 350 though….

you pulled the fuel filter out of the tank right? Last time i had this issue the tank filter was plugged up, went and changed it out since they are cheap at the local saw shop. Also check/replace all your lines i have seen them get pin hole in them and do not show a leak but introduce air into the line making it impossible to start.

Also check/replace all your lines i have seen them get pin hole in them and do not show a leak but introduce air into the line making it impossible to start.
Me too.

Yep, pulled the line and filter from the tank, blew through to ensure they weren’t plugged. Didn’t check for holes in it though, will give that a shot. Could prob troubleshoot that just by filling the tank to full right? (Getting the filter back on was a bit of a PITA)

May want to pull and clean the exhaust. Just had a 180 act similar. Plugged exhaust. Never know.

Yep, pulled the line and filter from the tank, blew through to ensure they weren’t plugged. Didn’t check for holes in it though, will give that a shot. Could prob troubleshoot that just by filling the tank to full right? (Getting the filter back on was a bit of a PITA)
change the filter, when your blowing through it you are creating much more pressure than the saw is making when its running and pulling fuel.. Did the same thing and still ended up changing my filter... yes they are a real PIA to put back on.. Not sure who thought out that design but im sure they could have created a much better design.. Must be a real PIA for the guys out in the bush when their filter plugs and they just have basic tools.

Pulled and cleaned the exhaust (was open, no fine screening inside). Replaced the fuel line, fuel filter and impulse line. Replaced the carb. Still no fuel to spark plug. Only other thing I could think was compression… tested as 120psi after 5 pulls. Is that too low to pull a vacuum?

Check the valve in the filler cap if thats gummed up or deteriorated it will definitely give you grief. Usually called a duckbill valve

Check the valve in the filler cap if thats gummed up or deteriorated it will definitely give you grief. Usually called a duckbill valve
Oh yeah. My 029 has a fuel vent line with a grub screw. If your 028 has that definitely check that.
like this

Reactions: shortys7777
Pulled and cleaned the exhaust (was open, no fine screening inside). Replaced the fuel line, fuel filter and impulse line. Replaced the carb. Still no fuel to spark plug. Only other thing I could think was compression… tested as 120psi after 5 pulls. Is that too low to pull a vacuum?

Looking for gas on the plug is not all that reliable an indication that fuel is getting to the engine, in my experience. If it smells like gas at the muffler or plug hole then you know you're getting gas.

Did you look at the exhaust skirt of the piston when the muffler was off? If the piston is damaged from a partial seizure it will almost always be on the hotter exhaust side.

If you squirt a little gas into the engine will it start or pop?

It seems unlikely that you'd get a spark plug failure and have the fuel stop flowing at exactly the same time. So I think that the fuel problem, if there is one, may be due to the work that was done fixing the spark problem.

Did u try new gas? I’d get new pump gas from a different station than where you got the previous gas. Just to rule bad gas out. My neighbor cleaned his lawnmower carb 3 times trying to fix a no start. I asked about gas and he insisted it was good. Finally I got some gas from my house, dumped his out of his mower, refilled it with mine then It started right up and ran perfect.

Did u try new gas? I’d get new pump gas from a different station than where you got the previous gas. Just to rule bad gas out. My neighbor cleaned his lawnmower carb 3 times trying to fix a no start. I asked about gas and he insisted it was good. Finally I got some gas from my house, dumped his out of his mower, refilled it with mine then It started right up and ran perfect.
to go along with that did your neighbor use any type of fuel stabilizer? The one and only time i ever used that stuff and used it according to manufacturer instructions i had issues with every single gas equipment that i had the following year. Most i was able to replace the fuel and get running but my leaf blower it rotted the seals out of the carb and it was only 2 years old... Never used that crap again..

Seafoam works...

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
to go along with that did your neighbor use any type of fuel stabilizer? The one and only time i ever used that stuff and used it according to manufacturer instructions i had issues with every single gas equipment that i had the following year. Most i was able to replace the fuel and get running but my leaf blower it rotted the seals out of the carb and it was only 2 years old... Never used that crap again..
I don't think so? he later said the gas had been stored over the winter but he "thought it was still good". I use stabilizer all the time and never had a problem. It works for me for sure. I know there have been problems with some of the "true fuel" premix's sold in the big box stores.

Went to buck up some deadfall the other day, first run of the year. Fresh ethanol free fuel - started as per usual (2-3 pulls choked, catches then runs), did 5-6 cuts on a 18” stem and it cut out. Not running out of fuel cut out, like died instantly cut out (electrical). Tried to start it again, worked for another cut then died the same way.

Checked for spark, nothing. Got a new coil off Amazon, installed - still no spark. Tried a new spark plug and bam… never seen a plug outright fail but ok. Good strong spark now, tried to start and nothing. No fuel on electrode.

Tried original coil just becauae - good spark, still no start. Pulled carb, cleaned it out, everything looks good. Pulled fuel filter, ensured line was clear, all good.

Any thoughts? Something else i might be missing?
Did you ever get it running again?

It should at least burp if you pour a little fuel through the carb into the cylinder with the air filter off. At least you can know if its firing under compression.

My 028 wood boss had a weak spark and it would pop , but never enough to run . An 028 has point’s which are troublesome after a few years of use. I put on an 029 coil which is electronic and has been running great for the last 12 years.

My 028 wood boss had a weak spark and it would pop , but never enough to run . An 028 has point’s which are troublesome after a few years of use. I put on an 029 coil which is electronic and has been running great for the last 12 years.
I did the exact same. The "universal" coil from Stihl bolted right in. Clip the point wires and call it a day. Ran great!

Reactions: bigealta