Stihl 028 WB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
way back when in 1982....before i was born mind you...a buddy of my fathers bought a Stihl 028 wood boss.

skip over a few decades..

He gave it to my dad to take a peak at because of irractic control at high speed. basically its strving out at full throttle. Much to my dismay we tried to find a carb re-build kit, the stihl dealer had one that "might work" the other kit appearently doesnt exist, no one makes it? well after tearign apart, this is not the correct kit.

so we have been told a new carb can be had for $125..my question, would be do they indeed make a carb rebuild for this saw, is it worth buying a new one if need be. canthe "other carb be used? is there another carb that can be used with this saw?

I would like to repair the saw for the guy, but from what i gather he says if it needs another 125 dollar carb he will buy a new saw, which in turn, because im nuts i would buy it, is it worth it?

any help would be great

I have 028, about 30 years old, it has been a very good saw over the years. The only thing I have ever done to it besides new plugs, bars, chains and sprockets, is change the coil. Very good dependable saw. Dave.

Check over on A S for a NOS carb kit, if not buy it cheap, fix it & run it. Be a decent little saw if the bottom end is good. A C

SB, If I were you I would give Baileys a call.Fore less than $15 you should be able to get a kit for this saw. I own the same and put a kit in it about a year ago. Ken

A S and baileys can people elaborate?

Elaboration:

Post your question in the ArboristSite.com chainsaw forum and you're pretty much guaranteed to get the answer to your chainsaw question.

BaileysOnline.com is one of many retailers that can be helpful in getting the right part.

TreePointer said:
Elaboration:

Post your question in the ArboristSite.com chainsaw forum and you're pretty much guaranteed to get the answer to your chainsaw question.

BaileysOnline.com is one of many retailers that can be helpful in getting the right part.

Yea its real hard for a hearth member to look up a carb kit! ;-) Time you get done there you have a double ender 72inch 880 kit....lol
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catID=12202

Oh and the 028 is an Awesome saw hang with it! ;-)

I got a kit for my 028 w/walbro carb a couple of years ago. Pretty sure I got it from a Stihl dealer. Maybe they have just stopped offering them.

I grew up with a 028 -- fantastic, near-bullet proof chainsaw.

How can i find what carb is on it? Im hoping its orginal, no clue though. My guess is tillotson. I rember some markings about being made in ireland.

Do they make reproduction carbs or after market?

Baileys or dealer should both have rebuild kits in stock. Baileys might have a new carb for less than the dealer, as well.

The WB stands for Wicked Beast. Hang on to that saw.

I dont have the time for any more addictions...i guess i need to call baileys to hard to guess at the rebuild, not seeing a straight new carb. I would love to have her but still trying to fix for a another. Cant give up hope anyone know some part numbers..?

This IPL I'm looking at says WT16B or HU40D for the carb options.

Thanks danno. Is thay rebuild kits or carbs themselves? I notice you sport one, do you know the year? Would any 028 carb work?

Those are the actual carb numbers. If you want a kit, gotta figure out which one you have. If you are replacing the entire carb, either one will work fine. I'm not even sure which one I have on mine.

I have no idea about the age of my 028, I'd have to ask Grandpa.

Any good way to see? Casting marks?...i guess ill have to tear down again...

Carb ID #'s are usually printed or peened into the side of the carb body. That's if they are still legible.

Status
Not open for further replies.