Stihl 064/066 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
The guy that has this stump said if I thought that was big he had one to show me deep in the woods..I gues it is a lot bigger from what he was saying..The good part he said I could cut it down just for fun if I wanted...

So I guess I will be going to look at this thing...

smokinjay

You use .5 or .63 28" bar?????

Been looking at Bailey's they have some deals on .63 bars.......

I run .50 28 in. and everytime i put a 20in. on it and think I am going to have a easy day, the first thing that happens is the bar gets switch to the 28in. would like to go with a 32 soon

you should be able to pull a 32in. .63 easy if the price is right

See it is pretty cheap... http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPX+28+SS63&catID;=

cant see it slowing you down at 28in.

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
The guy that has this stump said if I thought that was big he had one to show me deep in the woods..I gues it is a lot bigger from what he was saying..The good part he said I could cut it down just for fun if I wanted...

So I guess I will be going to look at this thing...

smokinjay

You use .5 or .63 28" bar?????

Been looking at Bailey's they have some deals on .63 bars.......

I run .50 28 in. and everytime i put a 20in. on it and think I am going to have a easy day, the first thing that happens is the bar gets switch to the 28in. would like to go with a 32 soon

Jay what are you running for a spocket with the 28" bar .

you should be able to pull a 32in. .63 easy if the price is right

See it is pretty cheap... http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPX+28+SS63&catID;=

cant see it slowing you down at 28in.

I like the 24" on my 066 have the 32" but it is nose heavy and only use it on wood bigger than 24" It looks like you may not be getting enough bar oil and the heat is making the paint come off the bar faster.The big saws are harder on bars I find. I had a problem with stalling on my saw and the cylinder bolts had worked loose,lucky I did not burn it up.

loggie said:
I like the 24" on my 066 have the 32" but it is nose heavy and only use it on wood bigger than 24" It looks like you may not be getting enough bar oil and the heat is making the paint come off the bar faster.The big saws are harder on bars I find. I had a problem with stalling on my saw and the cylinder bolts had worked loose,lucky I did not burn it up.

the e bars all do that the es will take it much better but a little heavier.

southbound said:
I know the bar was getting hot it was covered up all day..The nose of the bar only saw sun when it was time to fuel up...

I burn the paid off every e bar quick! but there light.

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
I know the bar was getting hot it was covered up all day..The nose of the bar only saw sun when it was time to fuel up...

I burn the paid off every e bar quick! but there light.[/quote

That one was cheap too..Found it on the bay NIB $30 shipped...Got a 20" ES on the 038 and it has very little paint left on it..............

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

I burn the paid off every e bar quick! but there light.[/quote

That one was cheap too..Found it on the bay NIB $30 shipped...Got a 20" ES on the 038 and it has very little paint left on it..............

my es 28in. is 3 years old the only paint thats off is right by the dogs. My 16in. is less than a year old and its almost all gone.

Pic's if the wood from the stump...

DSC03706.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03709.jpg

I still have to go back for a dead tree and some limbs.....................

chunk it! bar not long enough?

Worst part I ended up using some chains my FIL gave me..Now he has been logging for 40 years and they say he can file better then a grinder but not one chain would cut strait....I dropped them off at the shop today will get them back tomorrow..............

southbound said:
It was 5 foot 7 across and 5 foot 5 tall..Nope the 20" not long enough....

love it! and little trick on them if you have a chain grinder set your angle to 10 degress if you didnt already know that but it makes
that job a little easier! wow 66in. tree what kind?

Oak...Biggest one I ever did see...When they first moved in it was all there and it was massive.....

I need info on WoodlandPro 30RC Chainsaw Chain...The Carlton site does not list 30RC...

http://www.sawchain.com/products/productdescChain.asp?SeriesID=1

Does it have the Bumper link to reduce kickback???

Or is it Ramped depth gauge for reduced kickback????

If this is the stuff you are using a pic or to would be great...

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

southbound said:
Oak...Biggest one I ever did see...When they first moved in it was all there and it was massive.....

I need info on WoodlandPro 30RC Chainsaw Chain...The Carlton site does not list 30RC...

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

30 rc is like stihl 33rs its full chiesl ready to rock....full comp all around chain its my favorite price and its good chain

ripping chain is better with semi chisel it will stay sharp longer. non safety 30scs

southbound said:

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

thats cut at 30 degrees to make it a ripping chain you just change the angle to 10 degrees and that chain is the woodland 30rc series and rakers need to be dead on.

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 267
Great thanks for the pic's,,

Now I'm gonna show off some of mt noobness...

Ripping chain better fo noodleing or just better all around???

southbound said:
Great thanks for the pic's,,

Now I'm gonna show off some of mt noobness...

Ripping chain better fo noodleing or just better all around???

better for stumps even in if your cross cutting the grain in the wood is a lot different at ground level. oh lets see the oddels of noddles...

southbound said:
Thanks !!!! I learned something new...

the bigger trees get curly some curlier than others but it can reek havoc on even the biggest saws.

Ok just got off my butt and ordered a 28" Carlton bar and a 91 dl Carlton chain...

When I called Bailey's the man on the phone kept saying that bar is a steal it's a steal...

We will see.............

southbound said:
Ok just got off my butt and ordered a 28" Carlton bar and a 91 dl Carlton chain...

When I called Bailey's the man on the phone kept saying that bar is a steal it's a steal...

We will see.............

I think you will be happy with it and that beast needs at least a 28in. to be in the zone. I think the most over rated bar is the gb bars the paint is gone after a tank of gas. And I paid 50.00 fot that 20in. bar.

Some Carlton bars are GB.. Now who makes GB???I know they just sold out to someone new.....

Aren't the Stihl ES bars GB??? Same tip........

Status
Not open for further replies.