Stihl 2 stroke oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
Ran into my Stihl dealer and grabbed a six pack of one gallon size bottles yesterday. Filled my little jug, opened one and turned upside down into the jug and walked away for 30 mins. Imagine my surprise when I came back and removed the bottle and the fuel was still virtually clear! Opened another and it was reddish/clear as well. I was scared to run it so I went back and the tech guy said Stihl in their infinite wisdom had removed the blue dye for a period of about six months until customer/dealer complaints became so bad they went back to blue. What were they thinking? That blue tint is reasuring when you're adding fuel to a saw.

Sounds like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

I've seen stihl oil go from blue to green to red and back again a few times. Blue is the easiest to see in the fuel followed by red.

Yea ran into that my self. Had to ask the guy who mix it if he was sure he put it in there.

You know Stihl buys the oil and pays someone to bottle it, right? I'm sure it's a wide-latitude, low-bid contract for the refiner. It's funny to me that so many people are convinced of it's efficacy because there's a picture of a chainsaw on the bottle.

Bigg_Redd said:
It's funny to me that so many people are convinced of it's efficacy because there's a picture of a chainsaw on the bottle.

Not me.

I am convinced of it's efficacy due to very long term use, with very good results.

Bigg_Redd said:
You know Stihl buys the oil and pays someone to bottle it, right? I'm sure it's a wide-latitude, low-bid contract for the refiner. It's funny to me that so many people are convinced of it's efficacy because there's a picture of a chainsaw on the bottle.

I use the Stihl full synthetic because a lot of the other brands are semi synthetic and I believe full synthetics are more efficacious at reducing wear. Stihl double the warranty on new saws if you use the full synthetic as I recall, and that is telling to me.

Bigg_Redd said:

I liked running ultra, but the price is just silly. Plenty of similar options out there for a lot less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.