Stihl 361 repair success

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I picked up a set of clutch springs this morning, put it all back together and ran through a short tank of fuel bucking a log. Previously I had purchased a new round file (apparently they are not "lifetime" items. I got a pack of them this time.) and spent some time time on the teeth. Then I got out the Rotozip and ground down the rakers per the little Stihl guide - first time I have ever done this in all these years. And I cleaned up the fuel and air filters.

Well, it turns out that with a functioning clutch, clean filters, a sharp chain with rakers at the right hight and the chain installed in the correct direction (don't ask) you can cut some serious firewood.

I appreciate all the help. I have been doing this for nearly 40 years, starting with an old yellow metal case Homelite, which has given me many an opportunity for doing it wrong.

Cutters aiming forward is indeed preferable. Good deal getting your saw back in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.