1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stihl chain sharpening kit....how the heck do I use this thing?

Post in 'The Gear' started by wg_bent, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Well, I was going to post this question, but then figured I'd look at the Stihl web page to see if they had the info. Well, here's it is:

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf

My saw is a Husky with an original Oregon chain but the new chain is a Stihl. For what it's worth, there is no comparison in the two chains. The Stihl wins hands down!!!!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    they have a dremel atachment designed for chainsaws that work nice. I never had much luck with that style of sharpener. This year i bought the chain making tools, next year i plan on buying a pro sharpner that will realy work. A dull chain is a dangerous chain. Expecially if you dont hit the rakes to the proper gap.
  3. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    I have friends in the business and nothing but a file ever touches their chains.

I have used his 026 and 044 and you better have a tight grip when bucking. Things happen in a hurry!

Once I learned how to file properly, cutting wood is a lot easier, less expensive and more productive.
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Im not pro enough to use a file. The dremel attachment takes a very light touch and it works well for me. I get my chains pretty darn sharp with it. I realy like the machines the shops use commercialy. Maybe one day i will get sgood enough to use a file free hand.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Over the years I tried'em all because I can't sharpen anything. Knives, scissors, nothin. Used the Dremel, taking them to a shop and just about everything else. Finally sat down and figured it out and I get 10 times the life out of a chain. And a hand touch-up each time I go to the woods and the chain cuts like a new one. There is really nothing to it. Just the angles and a three buck file guide points you right to them.

If you want a consumer version of those chain eating suckers the commercial shops use Harbor Freight puts one on sale for fifty bucks frequently.

Hand sharpening is like they used to tell as a kid ya about sex. Once you try it you will want to kill yourself for what you have been missing.
  6. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Bullseye, BrotherBart.

One pro sharpening for me on the grinder, and I lost at least 1/2 the life of the chain.

Right on Post.
  7. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi Brother bart,

I have to agree: a hand job is much better than a machine (pun intended). And the chain lasts longer too.

carpniels
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.