stihl chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i3bpvh

Jul 24, 2009
MN
Is there a big difference between the green and yellow chains? I know the green is low kick-back, but how much of a difference is there in cutting? My MS290 came with a Green chain, can I get a yellow chain for it? my local dealer says no without buying a new bar.

Yes, the yellow will cut MUCH better and I would find a new dealer. As long as they are the same size, your bar couldn't care less what kind of chain you put on.

I switched to a Stihl semi-chisel a few months ago after using the anti-kickback green chain for a few months. There is a night and day difference. Buy it on-line if your dealer won't sell it to you. My local guy had no problem with it. All he said was that he had to sell me the saw with the green chain, but after the initial transaction, he would put any chain I want on.

Once you run a yellow tag you'll never go back to green....ever.

And as stated above - as long as you get the same size chain you can run the same bar for sure.

i3bpvh said:
Is there a big difference between the green and yellow chains? I know the green is low kick-back, but how much of a difference is there in cutting? My MS290 came with a Green chain, can I get a yellow chain for it? my local dealer says no without buying a new bar.

It is one thing to steer someone away, it is quite another to flat out lie. Find another dealer. Yellow chain runs just fine on green bars.

Just how much "danger" is involved in making the switch from green to yellow chain anyway?

Flatbedford said:
Just how much "danger" is involved in making the switch from green to yellow chain anyway?

Green is anti-kickback, yellow is not. Yellow is far more aggressive. This does pose a level of increase in danger as with any "homeowner" vs professional type equipment. If you are a competent and experienced cutter that has his/her eye on the job, the yellow chain will out perform the green by a good bit. But again, it is high performance stuff in comparison. And high performance usually equates to a higher level of risk.

When I bought the 361 my dealer (new to me) asked if I was experienced before he would hand me the chain.....and also made me promise not to lend the saw to inexperienced users (I don't lend saws so thats no problem).

i3bpvh said:

Your dealer is smoking crack. Lots and lots of crack.

Flatbedford said:

None. IMO, "danger chains" are safer than "safety chains" because they don't provide a false sense of security.

Bigg_Redd said:
Your dealer is smoking crack. Lots and lots of crack.

or, he could be doing meth. :lol:

or, he has a lot of bars he needs to sell.

I replaced the safety chain on my 029 with an Oregon chain. I just don't remember which one it is. I don't know if it is a "safety" chain or not, but I have never had any kickback issues with the saw. I have a good amount of experience with this saw and I try to be careful so I don't know if its me or the chain. I do know that the Oregon chain made my saw feel like a totally different machine when I put it on.

Kickback will happen regardless of chain type....... avoid kickback situations and keep your body out of the line of the saw if it where to kickback and everything should be fine.

ikessky said:
I switched to a Stihl semi-chisel a few months ago after using the anti-kickback green chain for a few months. There is a night and day difference. Buy it on-line if your dealer won't sell it to you. My local guy had no problem with it. All he said was that he had to sell me the saw with the green chain, but after the initial transaction, he would put any chain I want on.
Sorry to hear this. Mine swapped out the chain to what I wanted. Even put an ES bar on it as well. Plus gave an extra chain.
Buddy didn't really ask me too many questions before he bought. Picked up a 361 with safety chain. Cutting was lots slower with a finer chip.
Chad

I don't mind in the least. I'm sure he has liability issues that he needs to address when selling new saws. Plus, maybe I just don't look that bright! ;-P

When did all this yellow/green chain thing come in? My saw is five years old I had a choice of one spare chain and it came in an orange box.
Cuts great when it is sharp. Cuts like crap when it is dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.