Stihl Dealer Days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I picked up a new String Trimmer. My dealer had a special. Buy a 6 pack of oil and any Stihl product and they'll double the warranty.

Same thing here in Ohio. I run that Oil in my Husqvarna Saws. If its good enough to DOUBLE there warranty? Gotta be good enough for a Husky.

Isn't the husky warranty 2 years, and stihl 1 normally?

I know Husky is 2. My buddy just bought a Stihl (55 I think) Trimmer. He is the one that told me about the Double warranty. So it may not be that great of a deal. But the Stihl syn oil smells better than the Husky syn oil. Still have 2 bottles of pre-mix Husky pre-mix left. The stihl oil was "On-sale" and after I found out that it doubled the warranty and it Does Not VOID my warramty. If its a good oil and its cheaper. And again, it smells Sweet. I used to love riding (Still ride/just not Hard) and racing Dirtbikes and Quads. The smell of Castor 2 cycle oil and 110 octane fuel in the morning does something to you. I still run some Castor 927 through my weed-wacker and leaf-blower (gas model/ not my electric for pellet stove cleaning). Nothing smells better.

I don't think the quality of the oil makes the tool last longer, "doubling the warranty". I think they make enough profit on the oil to more than pay for any warranty repairs they expect in the second year.

DanCorcoran said:
I don't think the quality of the oil makes the tool last longer, "doubling the warranty". I think they make enough profit on the oil to more than pay for any warranty repairs they expect in the second year.

x2

The oil packaged and sold as "Stihl" actually pretty low grade stuff in the pre-mix family - no worse than any other oil with a chainsaw on the bottle, but no better.

I use the Stihl oil. It's pricey, but I have no starting problems, and I have used gas I mixed a year ago with no trouble. Hardly any smell that I notice, and little to no smoke. I have a Stihl 4-Mix trimmer, and a Stihl chain saw. Love 'em both!

I went and bought the FS 90 trimmer today. tried talking dealer into throwing in the brush blade for free but he would not go for it. He did however give me the 6 pack of oil for free, which qualified me for the 4 year warranty. And he took my 15 year old craftsman trimmer and disposed of it for me

The oil mix in the trimmer is the same ratio as the chainsaw, however he said to only use the synthetic grade oil in the trimmer or the valves will get gunked up. So I said no problem I have the 4 year warranty, he said that would be a maintenance issue and the warranty would not cover that

Status
Not open for further replies.