1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stihl dealer - "You don't need to have the carb re-adjusted"

Post in 'The Gear' started by par38lamp, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. par38lamp

par38lamp New Member

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri (MO)
    While shopping for a chainsaw, I visited the nearest authorized Stihl "Elite" dealer, K&K supply in Fenton, MO. I was asking about bringing in the saw after the initial break in period to have the carb readjusted (something I learned here). I was told no, and was even treated like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Think I should avoid? There are about 4 other dealers very close, 2 in Fenton alone. K&K is a construction rental/supply house.

My gut is to go to either a lawn store, or a smaller rental house. K&K might be "too big" to mess with a one time guy like me. Not a "regular" who rents/buys from them a lot. I am not trying to bash them, they just might not be what I need (a little hand holding).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    If its not something you can do your self then sure , go to a different dealer.
    Not all service techs are "real service techs" some are just guys that change spark plugs , sharpen chains , swap out filters and put on few new parts wile others are sent to school every year to get upgraded on the latest and greatest.

Just because it says "Stihl" on the store sign does not mean they have knowledgeable service techs.

******************************************************************************

I would find a dealerthat can adjust the carb after 10 tanks of gas ( when new ) then every year take your saw in for yearly service.

ie: check and/or change your
    spark plug
    air filter
    fuel filter
    drum and sprocket
    bar rails / reline
    check carb adjustment ( let them know what raito oil/gas you are running ~ 40:1 / 50:1 )
    check chains
    get chains sharpened
  3. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Yes, like the place is a Haz-Mat site.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.