Stihl MS390 Air filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Going to buy a new one for my saw. I have cleaned the old one before and its kind of like a felt material.

Looking on EBAY there are 2 different types, the flet looking kind, either Stihl brand or aftermarket i think, or a fine mesh type that has what looks like really fine Poly woven cloth in it.

Wondering the differences and does it matter. I would think the fuzzy cloth would filter fine dust (not really saw dust im concerned with but dirt-dust) better than the mesh type.

And is the original intended to be washed as a permanant filter? When i cleaned mine i think i used brake clean or carb cleaner and sprayed it untill it ran clear and looked clean, it seemed to dry fine after that.

Stick with the OEM fuzz. Mesh filters will leak dust (noticeable in the carb after awhile).

Yeah you can clean the OEM filter from the inside out with a solvent like brake/carb cleaner. Split 'em in half and spray 'em clean, then gently dry with compressed air.

Status
Not open for further replies.