Stihl MS400 c-m ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikieb

Nov 22, 2022
Waupaca, Wi
I need to update my saw fleet.... the old Stihl 036pro is loosing it's compression.... I am looking to update to a Stihl MS400C-M.

Anybody running one ?

It's $1020.00 plus tax in my world.... Dose Stihl ever have a sale ? Or any kind of discount or trade in sales program throughout the year ?? Should I wait a few months yet ?

Sometimes dealers have sales. It will depend on the local economy and the local dealers. My local Stihl/Echo/Husky dealer sometimes has sales on Echos but rarely on Stihls.

Stihls have gotten more expensive in the last couple years. I don't feel the prices will go down much any time soon, if ever.

You can get parts for the 036. There's aftermarket parts from China and some from Europe like Metor cylinders and pistons and you should be able to find OE parts too. A new piston/cylinder/rings would cost a lot less than a MS400.

I would by a set of rings for the 036 then you can wait for a sale

Not sure if you grabbed the 400 yet, but that is a steal around here. I'd vote to get that and also put a P/C and carb kit in the 036 as a backup.

It would be uncommon to find Stihl saws on sale, especially the MS400 unless a specific dealer might be offering something. I often see the MS250 on sale, don't know the exact reason they pick that specific model, but if one is on sale, it is usually that one. That $1,200 price is retail price for that model. If you try dealing with an independent dealer as opposed to a place like Ace Hardware, they will sometimes give you a small discount, especially on a $1,000+ model.

Sometimes dealers have sales. It will depend on the local economy and the local dealers. My local Stihl/Echo/Husky dealer sometimes has sales on Echos but rarely on Stihls.

Stihls have gotten more expensive in the last couple years. I don't feel the prices will go down much any time soon, if ever.

You can get parts for the 036. There's aftermarket parts from China and some from Europe like Metor cylinders and pistons and you should be able to find OE parts too. A new piston/cylinder/rings would cost a lot less than a MS400.
The gasket, jug, piston/ring is a whopping $32 shipped for the 036. That would be my vote.

Damn... $1000 for a 36x! That's getting close to the price we used to pay for 064/066! I can't remember what I paid for my 036, but it must be close to half of the current price, and I can't complain at all about it's durability.

The gasket, jug, piston/ring is a whopping $32 shipped for the 036. That would be my vote.
Thats for chinessium parts
Chances are the cylinder is still good,might take a little elbow grease if there is any aluminum transfer.
At least buy a Metior piston and Caber rings if you are going aftermarket.
Check the squish and you may not need a gasket.

Reactions: Ashful