Stihl not running right with new bar and chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I bought a new Oregon bar and chain combo for my stihl 170. It has been running fine but when I put the new bar on, its runs like it has no power. I know the parts #s all match up. Any suggestions?

Chain too tight? Chain on backwards? Don't be offended, I'm just throwing stuff out there. Do the oil holes on the new bar line up correctly? Do you know how to check to see if the bar is getting oil. Hold the tip of the bar just above a piece of wood or something and rev the saw. You should see oil splatter. Does the gauge of the chain definitely match the bar? For example running .063 chain on a .050 bar would have a lot of friction, not even sure if you could do that . Is the chain somehow dull from new? Did you try taking the bar and chain off and then back on again, just to make sure everything is lined up right. Oh, maybe your sprocket is worn out and needs to be replaced?. I'm about out of ideas.

Is your new bar the same length as the original one or is it longer?

Oregon 105667 14-Inch Replacement Chain Saw Bar and Chain Combo For Stihl

The numbers looked like they should have lined up correctly. The bar and chain I replaced was a 14 in. as well. I guess the next step is to just pull is apart. It doesn't seem to be using oil up like it should. It is oiling but not nearly as fast as it used to. Would a lack of oil make it "bog down?"

Maple 1- The new bar and chain came as a combo. Wouldn't it still me fine as long as the gauge of the chain and bar match?

It does run fine with the original stihl bar and a stihl chain on it. I might just have to bite the bullet and just buy stihl replacements. They are so much more expensive then the Oregon brand.

Double check the chain size & gauge. Sometimes they can be packaged wrong.

Reactions: jetsam
My Dad had an Oregon bar that claimed to be a match for his 250 & the back of the bar was rubbing on the drive sprocket after it was tightened up. After inspecting the clearance is different on different bars even though it may say it’s an equivalent part/swap out.

Just going to toss this out there...
Any chance the chain brake is tripped?

I think the brake is free. Maybe it just isnt the right set up for my saw. It is an older 170 and i believe a few things are different on the newer ones. If I cant figure it out, Im just going to stick to stihl, even through i have money in the oregon.

Maple 1- The new bar and chain came as a combo. Wouldn't it still me fine as long as the gauge of the chain and bar match?

It does run fine with the original stihl bar and a stihl chain on it. I might just have to bite the bullet and just buy stihl replacements. They are so much more expensive then the Oregon brand.

Ok, you may be right - small brain fart on my part. I was picturing new chain on old bar.

I always just go to the Stihl guys here for my bars & chains. Not sure they cost much more than Oregon stuff I see on shelves of other stores.

There must be something off with it, not sure what but should be able to track it down with some close examination.

Can you move the chain by hand with the saw off and the chain brake off? If not you should be able to. It should also put out the same amount of oil as the old one.

My guess is that its not the correct one for this saw. Do you have this issue when you put the old one back on?

Any photos?

So I took it all apart, cleaned everything again, put back together and its fine lol. I don't know. The only other variable I can think of is the Brother-in-Law using it, which has potential for issues lol. The chain was not as sharp as I would think it should be brand new, but thats an easy fix. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Damn BIL.
Roller nose can get stuck with debris, rinse in your mix. And,Get a dentist's pik to clean out the oil holes in the saw and bar (they throw them out).

I have one of these and they have every thing you need when in the brush
upload_2018-3-28_9-7-43.jpeg
Multi tool

Reactions: BenTN
That and the stihl 2in1 sharpener
upload_2018-3-28_9-45-45.jpeg

I have seen that sharpener. Is it worth the price?
Pferd sharpeners are similar & about half the price. At $6-$8 a chain to sharpen it pays for itself pretty quickly. There is a thread on here about them, if I recall correctly Pferd makes ( or did make) the Stihl sharpener.

Last edited:
Yes it is worth the price.
Chain comes out the closest to a new chain.. ==c

Yes it is worth the price.
Chain comes out the closest to a new chain.. ==c
Keep practicing freehand,when you get the knack for it freehand you can out sharpen a new chain

Reactions: Stlshrk
Keep practicing freehand,when you get the knack for it freehand you can out sharpen a new chain

I find that the 2in1 helps to keep the rakes @ the right gap/gauge . This give me a nice cutting chain. I use to get chains back from a shop and I do believe they never touched the rakes. Touched the rakes up and Bingo nice cut. The 2in1 gives me that result faster , even when giving a quick touchup in the field.
Just my findings. :p

Reactions: Cast Iron