1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stihl Picco Duro carbide chain

Post in 'The Gear' started by Pascale, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Pascale

Pascale New Member

Hello,

Some of you here recommended a Stihl Picco Duro for my Stihl 170.

One of my friend has a Poulon Pro saw. Would a Picco Duro fit for his chainsaw?

Thanks

Pascale

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Picco Duro is only available in 3.8" Picco (low-pro) .050. You would have to get a new bar in order to run that on your MS170. (are you the fellow who was cutting driftwood?)

If your friend's Poulan runs 3/8's Low-Pro chain, then the Picco Duro chain will fit, but he would most likely need to have a loop custom cut from a bulk reel or have a slightly longer loop cut down to make it go.
  3. Pascale

Pascale New Member

Hi MasterMech,
    Yes, I'm the one. My friend came over yesterday to cut the green ash that Hydro Qc didn't pick up on a CN lot.
    My 170 had a brand new chain and what a difference...Next one will be a Picco for sure since driftwood has lots of sand in it.

My friend's chainsaw is a Poulan Pro, 20 inches 46cc. That's all I can tell you.
    I don't understand what that part means:
    but he would most likely need to have a loop custom cut from a bulk reel or have a slightly longer loop cut down to make it go. (sorry, french speaking and don't know much about chainsaws...)

Thanks again

Pascale
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Loop = a new chain. Sometimes made from a bulk (box) of chain. The dealer will cut the chain to the appropriate length then link the two ends together.

The same can be done if you purchase a chain that is too long. It can be shortened to fit the saw.

(its OK, Pascale...your English is better than my French.;))