Stihl saw explanation needed !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Ok as you guys know I have a poulan pro 46cc I like it and it has served me well over the years. The time is approaching for a better saw though and to be honest I love my echo which cuts like a hot knife for a saw its size.
Many people have tried to get me to buy a stihl. I do not deny there quality just there rediculas pricing and am really just in need of a legit reason other than there the best or it's got more reliability because honestly it doesn't have more reliability than echo and just because there good doesnt make them the best. To me it's kinda like buying a jeep ( I owned one ) way over priced because of the name. So common guys give me some real reasons !

PLEASE !

Pete

Dealer support. There are 2 Stihl dealers fairly close 2 me and both are very good. I recently upgraded from an MS290 to an MS261. I was looking very closely at the Husky 346XP as well but the closest dealer is 40 minutes away and I don't know them very well. I would check out all of your local dealers no matter the brand and go with the one that you feel will give you the best customer service.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Dealer support is good, but I don't think that's the clincher. Both of my local Stihl saw dealers are also Echo dealers. Actually, they both deal Husqvarna, too!

Right now, I own one Husqvarna, one Echo, and one Stihl (35, 51, and 85 cc, respectively). The Husqvarna is brand new, while Stihl and Echo are both older saws.

I can say that shopping for used parts and upgrades on ebay is much easier with Stihl than Echo, since there's just more of them out there. I also really dislike the chain brake design and gas/oil fillers on the echo, since they're on the top of the saw under the chain brake lever. Stihl has the nice LARGE tanks on the side of the saw, with filler necks big enough to fill directly from a 1 gallon jug without a funnel. Thankfully, Echo has also switched to the side-tank design on their newer saws.

Someone (MasterMech?) made a good comment about the two, when I asked a question similar to yours. I had pointed out that most landscapers around here consider Echo and Stihl brands to be neck-and-neck on most equipment, and he had replied Echo is as (or more?) reliable than any other brand, but they're not really known for pushing the envelope on performance.

One local dealer (he sells Echo, Stihl, and Husq) told me that Echo was a great name in chainsaws until the early 1990's, when they released their early "CS" series saws. Some landscapers had problems with these saws, and it soiled the Echo name. This dealer told me they've reworked their entire line-up in the last year or two, and he's very happy with their newer saws. He said he'd have no problem recommending a new Echo, right alongside Stihl or Husqvarna.

I recently bought a Husqvarna T435, because it had more impressive spec's than the similarly priced unit from Stihl. I didn't see that Echo had a whole line-up of top-handle saws (more than either Stihl or Husqvarna) until after I had already bought the T435, and now I'm having a little buyer's remorse, since those new Echo's actually look pretty nice! At the same time, I'm thinking of trading in my 510EVL for another Stihl in the 50 - 55 cc class.

Only bottom line is, you do seem to get what you pay for. All three makers have a range of quality, and prices to suit. You can buy a homeowner's saw, and farm/ranch saw, or a pro saw from any one of the three. That's the more critical factor than the brand name, in my opinion. A homeowner / occasional use saw from Stihl is not going to compare well to a pro saw from Echo, and vice versa.

Because Stihls are cooler than the others!;) That's coming from a guy who just bought a Husqvarna 372XP and lemme tell ya, I love that thing! ! ! Bottom line is, get a pro saw, they are above and beyond WAY better than the homeowner saws sold at the box stores. Whatever brand suits you best. Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar......all make great pro saws, so find a good reputable dealer and drop the hammer!

I just bought a 272 XP completely rebuilt for $375......There are great used saws out there that will save you a ton of money over buying a new one...... In my experience I would rather buy one used from a reputable source than spend the extra $600 or $700 dollars on a new one. Go to the Arborist Forum and check out the classifieds as well as posting about what you are looking for. Al ot of times some of the guys around there will have saws to sell you if you ask about them and if they have been a member for a while and are well liked you can probably sleep a little easier that they aren't just selling you a piece of junk.

As Scotty was pointing to...
I think the more important discussion is homeowner vs pro. If you are looking to step up into a better saw, go pro. Don't care if it is Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, etc. The difference while cutting is almost unbelievable. Dealer support would be 50% of my decision making. Get the right saw for your needs, and get a good one. You won't be sorry.

The MS 362 series and the 562 (XP) would be on my short list if shopping for a one saw solution.

Iam going to say: keep doing what your doing if it works for you....Dumb question Next!

Reactions: Thistle
Jay, take a little break from the heat, my friend.;)

Some silly stuff around here. Seem's I maybe the only one in the a/c... He wants a reason to buy a stihl, heck I cant think of any reason I would not buy another Stihl. (I been running some of the best saws in the world) Never lost a dime on any of them, So really you can run a pro stihl for free! Hows that for a reason. :p

I'm not married to a brand. The Stihl dealer network in my area is very good. I have 3 dealers within 20 minutes. But, with that being said, I've never had the need to really use them. I buy used saws and they just run and run and run...if they have a problem I'll I fix it myself. I buy chains online.

Any pro saw is going to treat you well.

Prices on Stihl are high, but so is resale. I bought my 361 for $300...and could prob sell it in a day for at least that much.

Ok as you guys know I have a poulan pro 46cc I like it and it has served me well over the years. The time is approaching for a better saw though and to be honest I love my echo which cuts like a hot knife for a saw its size.
Many people have tried to get me to buy a stihl. I do not deny there quality just there rediculas pricing and am really just in need of a legit reason other than there the best or it's got more reliability because honestly it doesn't have more reliability than echo and just because there good doesnt make them the best. To me it's kinda like buying a jeep ( I owned one ) way over priced because of the name. So common guys give me some real reasons !

PLEASE !

Pete

If you like your Echo then go get another Echo. Remember: you're cutting firewood, not replacing heart valves.

You have to admit that new heart valve replacement attachment stihl has is cool.

too bad it only comes in a .325.

If you do your own saw maintenance Pete, I can't suggest an overriding reason to buy a stihl. They make top of the line pro saws, as does Husky. Jonsered, Dolmar etc. Check out which saws these people that are trying to convince you to buy a stihl are running. My guess is they are waiving pom poms for the brand they own.

As said a few times.... Buy a Pro saw and you wont regret it.

I will echo (no pun) what Jags said, the 562 XP or MS 362 are prob the 2 best all around firewood saws. They are fast, can wear a decent bar w/ skip chain, light, and did I mention fast? ;)

You wont ever regret spending the extra dough on a Pro model........... Period. (Thats my reason? :))

Pete, because you have a dealer of saws so close to you, I'd suggest talking to Al there. Those saws are just as good but then you would have a dealer really close if one is needed for trouble shooting or fixing.

Thanks guys I thought maybe there was something I have been missing about stihl that makes them worth the hefty price but I guess not. Thats not intended to knock you stihl owners at all they are good but to rich for my blood. Dennis I was planning on buying one from Al as he is a good guy and stubborn as he is I trust him. I like the idea of having a dealer close by to address any issue that arises. He said he will throw in an extra chain, case, bar and chaps for free I thought that was a worthy deal.

Pete

Reactions: ScotO
Not necessarily a pro saw feature, but good anti-vibe would be enough reason for me. Though I have never run an Echo saw, and the only Poulan I have run is a Wild Thing.

Not necessarily a pro saw feature, but good anti-vibe would be enough reason for me. Though I have never run an Echo saw, and the only Poulan I have run is a Wild Thing.

My little Echo has excellent antivibe the Poulan Pro is decent but no match for a true pro saw. I agree that is a real nice feature my arms do wear out pretty fast.

Pete

The older lime green (pre-1990) Poulan's especially the 3400,4200 & larger models had excellent anti-vibration rubber mounts.Same with a few mid sized to large yellow/black Poulan Pro models from late '80's to mid '90's that were formerly Partner,Pioneer or Jonsered saws after the Elux takeover.They also had chrome plated bores for longer life,some had twin thin piston rings for more RPM's.The consumer Poulans sold today at WalMart,Home Depot,Lowes etc are no comparison in durability.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Granberg Mk III Alaskan 36" Mill
Husky 288XPW 24",28",36" Full Chisel,Skip Tooth
Poulan Pro Super 380 20" Full Chisel
Poulan 3400 20" (Dad's old green machine- 7 bars,3 sprockets,15+ chains in 30 yrs -Retired now,still runs good.)
Echo 280E Top Handle 12"
Husky 327P5x Pole Saw
Fiskars X25
Original Sotz Monster Maul with re-welded handle
Stanley 20 lb Sledge
Plumb 12 lb Sledge
4 & 6 lb wedges
Plumb Single & Double Bit Axes
Saving for a Husky 3120,Stihl 090 & McCulloch SP 125 or similar

Wait a minute, Thistle... I don't see a stove listed in there!

Wait a minute, Thistle... I don't see a stove listed in there!

LOL No room really.Though I do have an older unnamed insert w/electric blower inside masonry fireplace that heats basement very well,with residual heat going into furnace ducts to rest of house.Sure helps out with the natural gas bill....

If a dealer is available for service if needed, go with a pro saw. I cut in the vicinity of 10 cords/yr stove wood and logs for about 5000 board ft/yr of lumber. My Husky 372xp with a 20" bar has been flawless since new in 2000, never in for service, no parts ever replaced, not even the spark plug, fuel filter or bare. I rotate 10 chains, which have been in use the entire time.

The older lime green (pre-1990) Poulan's especially the 3400,4200 & larger models had excellent anti-vibration rubber mounts.Same with a few mid sized to large yellow/black Poulan Pro models from late '80's to mid '90's that were formerly Partner,Pioneer or Jonsered saws after the Elux takeover.They also had chrome plated bores for longer life,some had twin thin piston rings for more RPM's.The consumer Poulans sold today at WalMart,Home Depot,Lowes etc are no comparison in durability.

Those saws are throw aways, I ran a poulan from Lowes my friend has, what a piece of junk. I could see maybe buying one if you have no need for a saw and some small trees fall on your property and you dont want to pay someone to cut them up for you, use it once or twice then throw it in the garage, or better yet the garbage can.

The only thing I can tell you Pete is to go run one. You want a 60cc saw? Get your hands on a MS362. A 562XP, an equivalent Echo, Dolmar, Efco, Solo, whatever. (Dealers should be willing/able to demo something for you) Chances are you'll have a hard time deciding even after that. Awful lot of flag waving Stihl owners on this forum and it's not just because they cost more. ;) If after you're live demo, you're not convinced, then I wouldn't blame you for taking a less expensive route.

If your willing to buy used, the prices come down quite a bit, especially on Husky's. Keep an eye on the classifieds over at AS. The guy I bought my 346xp off of is a member there who sells lots of saws and has a very good reputation. He sells Husky 359's as well. They are a damn good firewood saw too. He'll even mod it for you for a little extra cash.

Reactions: certified106
Status
Not open for further replies.