1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stihl warranty - anybody used it?

Post in 'The Gear' started by maple1, Apr 27, 2013.

1. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    We had an ms170 on the farm here that had seen a LOT of use (great silviculture saw). It bunged up solid late last year. It got brought home from the Stihl dealer this week all put back to right and ready to go. Took a while but they came through (we didn't chase them about it though). Forget how long we had it before it went south (actually forget what the warranty period was) - but it was a while. Think I'm a fan now - and good local dealer service is good to have. Buy that oil when you buy the saw kids! ;)
    Beer Belly likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    We bought an 029 brand new in 1996. I sold it in 2010 and in that time it was never back to the dealer under warranty or not.
  3. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
  4. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Never had issues with any new Stihl saws that I bought. Pro sale Stihl saws only have a 6 months warranty on them, so I buy them for 'personal use'. Never needed warranty work done though. Never needed it on a Husky either. One new Echo that I bought had issues and I got a new top end done on that saw, but that was over 20 years ago.
  5. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    I own one, don't remember, what is the Stilh warranty? I recall the warranty doubles if you buy there synthetic oil. I just picked up 6 bottles for gallon mix. Almost $20, that sounds like a lot.

So what was the issue with the saw? Seized engine?
  6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think it was 2 years if you buy a pack of their mixing oil when you buy the saw.

Ya, it stuck.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

A few days after getting some chains made I had one come apart on me. They had used two master links (didn't have enough chain I guess). Broke the side cover on my saw. They gave me a new chain and a side cover.
  8. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Standard Stihl chainsaw warranty is one year for homeowners, 6 months for pros. Certain times of the year they have a deal for an added second year for the homeowner warranty if you buy a chainsaw case or a six pack of premix oil.
  9. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Had a couple of very minor things — my dealer is 5 minutes away...which was part of the plan/and one of the main reasons why I chose Stihl to begin with. Great service.