Still 660 Clone $270.00

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you buy it knowing you're getting an inferior product, you're not surprised when it is an inferior product.

I've played with one, and It reminded me of a very early Harbor Freight Predator motor in quality. Cheap, but it "should" get the job done for a while, but the problem is milling, felling and stumping big wood really stresses a saw, and that's what you use a 660 for most of the time.

I like knowing my saws are going to be working harder than I am, and outside of sharpening and adding gas and oil, I don't want to screw with a saw when I'm in the woods.

Yes but it is clearly a copy of a stihl saw. You said yourself you couldt tell the difference other that the stickers. And to be clear selling cheap copies is illegal. The only reason it is legal at all is that it is a kit of parts not a saw.

Actually, they are selling an assembled copy of the MS070

upload_2017-7-17_19-0-35.png

and here's a copy of the Husqvarna 365, called Hus365

upload_2017-7-18_7-16-47.png

I'm not commenting on the ethics or morality of the issue. As for the legalities, there are no patents covering the entire device, and any patents on specific, unique features (if they ever existed) are long since expired. The only aspect that is legally protected is the brand name. As long as it doesn't claim to be a Stihl or Husqvarna, it's legal.

Last edited:
If you buy it knowing you're getting an inferior product, you're not surprised when it is an inferior product.

The assumption that the Chinese can only produce inferior products is well entrenched in our minds. The same was true of Japanese products when I was young.

The assumption that the Chinese can only produce inferior products is well entrenched in our minds. The same was true of Japanese products when I was young.

True.
The Japanese had proven ability in manufacturing, but not bikes and cars. At the same time, those are very different cultures, very different environments, and one is still very 3rd world. Culture has a massive effect on the quality of products that can be turned out of a manufacturing facility.

True.
The Japanese had proven ability in manufacturing, but not bikes and cars. At the same time, those are very different cultures, very different environments, and one is still very 3rd world. Culture has a massive effect on the quality of products that can be turned out of a manufacturing facility.

The Chinese learn very quickly, and virtually every technologically advanced country in the world has been teaching them how it's done by building manufacturing facilities there and training them how to make the products. What were once junk wrenches from HF now come with a lifetime warranty.

There's no doubt that reputable Chinese manufacturers are capable of matching some of the best quality in the world. Look to the iPhone for but one example. When the new iPhone is released this Fall or Winter, although the technology inside may be 1-2 years behind the competition (not China's fault), you can bet that the build quality will be the equal of the worlds best (like Samsung). But the majority of manufacturers in China are more interested in competing on price than quality. And reputable manufacturers don't steal other peoples intellectual property.

Regardless of how advanced Chinese manufacturing becomes, ripped off clones of things like chainsaws that require advanced metallurgy and state of the art plastics manufacturing will always be far inferior. The complete clone 070 powerhead offered above is but one example. First off, it's a copy of an obsolete saw. There is no safety chain brake, it's missing hand guards, etc. This saw could not be used by a US company (assuming they were stupid enough to think it was going to save them some money) because OSHA wouldn't allow such an outdated and unsafe saw in the workplace. Secondly, the quality of critical parts that you can't see doom the reliability of the tool before the starter cord is pulled for the first time.

China has made great strides in quality of manufacture but the best manufacturers aren't thieves of other's protected intellectual property.

Reactions: bholler
Keep in mind patents expire and then anyone (even stateside) legally copy a design. Or the item, part or design that is patented has a very easy way to work around it. I've done it myself to reverse engineer a better product for our automation equipment.

Reactions: MrWhoopee
Keep in mind patents expire and then anyone (even stateside) legally copy a design. Or the item, part or design that is patented has a very easy way to work around it. I've done it myself to reverse engineer a better product for our automation equipment.

Products that are clones (by definition) have not been engineered around patents.

While it's true that patents expire, intellectual property encompasses far more than just patents and most IP never expires. That's why Disney can legally prohibit anyone from displaying unlicensed likenesses of (for example) Mickey Mouse. It doesn't even need to say "Mickey Mouse", a resemblance is all it takes.

The seller of the 070 powerhead clone mis-labels the package contents to sneak it through Customs. If you order more than one, they arrive in separate packages to minimize losses if confiscated. Don't try to tell me this is above board - I wasn't born yesterday. The only thing worse than cheap-ass power tools is stolen cheap-ass power tools that are illegally imported.

The seller of the 070 powerhead clone mis-labels the package contents to sneak it through Customs. If you order more than one, they arrive in separate packages to minimize losses if confiscated.

Do you know this to be fact or is this your assumption?

I ask, because the second example (HUS365) is offered for sale on eBay. I know, from personal experience, that listings on eBay that violate copyright or other IP rights are very quickly taken down.

edit:
I just discovered that the MS070 clone is offered on eBay, and ships from the U.S.

upload_2017-7-19_17-8-17.png

Last edited:
While it's true that patents expire, intellectual property encompasses far more than just patents and most IP never expires. That's why Disney can legally prohibit anyone from displaying unlicensed likenesses of (for example) Mickey Mouse. It doesn't even need to say "Mickey Mouse", a resemblance is all it takes.
Mickey Mouse is a registered trademark, and this has absolutely nothing to do with patented technology, or any form of patent law. Patents expire, and while they can usually be extended (once), it is nothing like a registered trademark.

Just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.