Still a little worried about my first fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hearth Supporter
First guys thanks for the help so far....
OK. I am about to install my Jotul F250 which came yesterday Max 9kw Nominal 6kw...I live in a totally wooden house with shingles that was built by the Swedish goverment for our war effort 60 years ago as a "thank you" I belive 200 were built in the UK , I have taken out the big woodburning rayburn that has stood in a totally brick 9 inch inglenook in the middle of my house since the house was built and replacing it with the Jotul.
I have decided to reline the chimney with a flexable liner, I have stuck to all the clerance specs that came with the stove.......BUT I STILL WORRY...have i missed anything folks.

I think it's normal to worry. You got the clearances, chimney liner in a chimney, dry wood- it sounds like you're ready to rock.

Were you using the unit that was in there, with that chimney? You have upgraded in safety considerably!

Adios Pantalones said:
I think it's normal to worry. You got the clearances, chimney liner in a chimney, dry wood- it sounds like you're ready to rock.

Were you using the unit that was in there, with that chimney? You have upgraded in safety considerably!

Thanks for reply, yes the old Rayburn would get damn hot as it was used for cooking and heating the water and was on 24/7 in 60 years 2 chimney fires, yes its natural to worry as it is a wooden house but suppose that the old rayburn has given the house a good enough test over 60 years.

You should have smoke and CO2 detectors and a fire extinguisher (in fact you should have had these on hand prior to your decision to become a burner). Having the right safety equipment is great peace of mind.

For what its worth I recall being a bit "antsy" for my first few fires. I suspect a lot of the folks on this site were. With a few fires you'll be comfortable with the routine and feel a lot better.

You should have no problems Neil...expect an unusual smell for the 1st couple of break in fires you have. You can open the windows to minimize the odor...just remember it's normal. what exactly it is...I dunno, just part of the manufacturing process I guess.

Hmmm...it may be more un-natural if you weren't a little edgy about lighting a fire inside of your home. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row.

Remember to break that stove in according to your manual. Expect some smells on the first couple of fire ups. By all means, be aware, pay attention for anything unusual, and have fun. Oh, its probably gonna make some pops, clicks and other funny noises during the temp rise. This is pretty normal.

As with anything that has the potential to be dangerous. If you are not at least a bit concerned or scared, thats when it can become dangerous, wheh one becomes too complacent. I hold that same value when I ride my hawg.
I have caught myself being completely complacent and found myself a bit reckless. Myself, I am respectful of anything that is dangerous, as I find respect brings some caution which in turn keeps me on my toes.
I was a wreck when I first burned my new insert. And had a door that needed adjustment which I had to figure out & learn with the help of this site. So caution is always a good thing.
One thing I will add, is to clean that existing chimney real good prior to installing the new liner. Take your time, do it right, and enjoy the fruits of your work when completed. Post some photos to share with your burning brethren here and relax.

Hogwildz said:
As with anything that has the potential to be dangerous. If you are not at least a bit concerned or scared, thats when it can become dangerous, wheh one becomes too complacent. I hold that same value when I ride my hawg.
I have caught myself being completely complacent and found myself a bit reckless. Myself, I am respectful of anything that is dangerous, as I find respect brings some caution which in turn keeps me on my toes.
I was a wreck when I first burned my new insert. And had a door that needed adjustment which I had to figure out & learn with the help of this site. So caution is always a good thing.
One thing I will add, is to clean that existing chimney real good prior to installing the new liner. Take your time, do it right, and enjoy the fruits of your work when completed. Post some photos to share with your burning brethren here and relax.

Thanks for a great reply Hogwildz.

Neil said:
Hogwildz said:

Thanks for a great reply Hogwildz.

MY pleasure, don't forget those photos when done ;)

Neil, I think you've done everything correctly...and as Hog said, I think your twinges of trepidation are a manifestation of your attention to detail and your very healthy appreciation for the hazards involved if something like this isn't done correctly. I'm sure you'll pay very close attention to all aspects of the stove's performance and its impact on the immediate surroundings, and I predict that you'll be very comfortable with it in short order. It's just not something that any thinking person would light up for the first time and then simply casually walk away. You're quite obviously a thinking person. Looking forward to pics. Rick

Neil, sounds like you have all the bases covered,were all nervous on those first few fires.By the way, my wife comes from Brighton with family in Midhurst and the Lake District and I have friends outside of London. Maybe we will meet someday.
Rusty

You think your nervous now? Wait until you pack that beast full, get her ripping, cut the air back and then leave the house for the day and worry all damn day long if the house is still standing & in one piece when you get home.
Takes a few of those days to settle that worry. But each time as you pull down the driveway and see its still there all intact, and no smoke even coming out the chimney, just the faint heat waves as you look at it.
You'll feel ok after a while LOL. Then even feeling better as that first beer of the evening rolls down your throat while you sit mesmerized by the fire.
;)

See...................... I just went into a trance thinking about it.

I have decided to reline the chimney with a flexable liner, I have stuck to all the clerance specs that came with the stove.......BUT I STILL WORRY...have i missed anything folks.

Neil, you are not performing life saving surgery on your first born child....you are simply putting a 600 degree (F of course!) cube of glowing cast iron in the middle or corner of one of the biggest investments you'll ever make....NOW COWBOY UP MA'AN, light it, get it rippin' (post break in of course) and fugetaboutit.

(for the record, after 9 years of 24/7 wood burning in my current log home with all wood floors, walls, ceilings, etc....i still think about it)

Status
Not open for further replies.