Still another hearth pad build question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
Two things:

A previous posting gave a link to an on-line Micore board supply house, but the board is only available (at that source) in 20" widths.

Is it valid to lay sections of 20" width board butted together to form the required width, then another layer 90 deg to the first on top, to get the required thickness? My concern is hot spots from heat traveling right thru where the two layers cross, and also along the butt seams, where my required 1" thickness will be theoretically reduced to 1/2".

What kind of bullnose trim have you guys used? I took a quick look at HD for edge trim, and couldn't find anything with a good profile that I could screw into the edge of the Micore stack and tile/grout up to it.

That'll be fine. The tile is a good thermal K barrier, the micore is an insulative R barrier. If really concerned, put a sheet of metal between the micore and the durock tile underlayment.

I bought some oak molding type trim from HD. Stained it and it looks really nice. I have a 3/4" plywood base to my hearth pad that I used to also secure the trim to.

Can I tile right over the Micore, or do I need to add Durock over the Micore? I'm thinkin' 3/4" plywood, 2 layers of 1/2" Micore, then tile, unless there are prohibitions to tiling over Mocore.

brider said:
Can I tile right over the Micore, or do I need to add Durock over the Micore? I'm thinkin' 3/4" plywood, 2 layers of 1/2" Micore, then tile, unless there are prohibitions to tiling over Mocore.

You definately want Durock/Wonderboard ontop of the Micore. Then get some Durock screws to sink down through everything into the plywood to secure it all.

THEN apply your tile with adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.