still burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
35 degrees here been burning still almost every night just to keep heat from coming on overnight. burned about 4 cords of wood from oct. had 5 cords so did pretty good with wood for a average winter. how did u do??????

Similar. I figure 3 - 3.5 cord, but finally ran out last weekend. Toward the end I was only burning on those nights where temps fell to low 30's or less.
I'm pretty light on my supply for next year. I'm hoping those 'free firewood' listings on Craigslist start hitting bigtime...

Gabe

I've been burnin at night for the past few days. It's spring though aint it? Well spring with a hint of winter haha. Heck it's doin a "wintery mix" outside right now! Our pile of seasoned stuff is about gone and im burnin alot of leftover limbs and other junk wood.

We just are coming out of yet another cold spell. Had a fire the past couple days including last night and this morning. Sun is back and starting to inch us up into the 50s. Wood pile is real low, but at least I got about 1/2 cord split yesterday.

Still burning every night and most days. However, they say we should see 60 the next 3 days. Hooray!!!!

We've burned around 3 cords so far but I haven't got a final tally yet. We still have over 20 cords out there so we won't run out. lol

Snowed here yesterday. Still burning. Rick

Rain, 100% overcast and cold for days now. Somehow 50 with rain is colder than 32 with snow. Go figure. Burned yesterday but am sick of messing with it. Turned on the electric space heaters today and am letting the meter get a workout.

Of course tomorrow morning the 30 will get cranked up yet once again. I will get up, start the coffee pot and then I will look at the Blueline meter monitor. And the burning will resume. Saved some wood this season by moving the office upstairs from the basement so only one stove is burning in the house and the baby in the warehouse only burns a couple of times a week.

Still snowing here. Stove is cold. im to lazy this time of year to fire up the stove, plus my wood is all picked through and im stuck with big chunks that are hard to light. After 6 strait seasons of burning wood, i think im getting tempted to the dark side. You might see me with a quadrafire mt vernon AE here next season :p
Till then, im enjoying the snow and hittin' the slopes this weekend. My pass has about 6 weeks left on it and i intend on using it.

Burnin 3 nights per week in April. But I burned last Sat. all day. Slowing down though. Have burned since end of Feb., what I burned in one week in early Jan.

looks like warm up this weekend but then cold again sun mon. looks like be burning again.

The storms that came through a couple days ago managed to blow my tarp off of the remaining wood for this season. Everything ended up soaked just in time for our little cool-down here.

Weather is warming up for the next few days, so I don't expect to need heat anyway.

Not sure what the next few weeks will bring. My wood should be dry by then, just in case.

-SF

I WOULD SAY WE are out of it now, pretty much. been in the 50
s-60's here for the past week. doesnt mean we wont have a night fire now and again though. The latest that I ahve burned before was May 20th!

Unfortunately, I think that I am done for the season. I still have plenty of wood, but the temps are getting too warm to burn. I really enjoyed the stove this burning season. We had plenty of cold days which is unusual around here.

I'ts time to enjoy the warmer weather doing other things and preparing for the next time I can enjoy the warmth of a nice fire.

mtarbert said:
Still burning in Maryland.....I like the warmth and can spare the splits....

Yep. Just below ya in Virginia and these sixty+ days and frosty night are nuts. Fifty seven now at nine o'clock now but supposed to be down to freezing by sun-up. But mid-seventies after noon. Impossible to time a burn to deal with that. Either go to bed hot or wake up freezing. >:-(

It's 42 outside now, and the house thermo says 68. The burner is not running !!!

Down to 35 or so here in "Icey Hollow", and the themostat is set to 62. I doubt the house will get that cold. I'd rather sit on my wood for now, and use it on colder over nights. Plus I found some another stash of more wood ready to go, just have to saw it in half, it's too long for the stove.

[quote Yep. Just below ya in Virginia and these sixty+ days and frosty night are nuts. Fifty seven now at nine o'clock now but supposed to be down to freezing by sun-up. But mid-seventies after noon. Impossible to time a burn to deal with that. Either go to bed hot or wake up freezing. >:-([/quote]

Boy have I got a stove to sell you. It would solve all those problems... %-P
N of 60

north of 60 said:
[quote Yep. Just below ya in Virginia and these sixty+ days and frosty night are nuts. Fifty seven now at nine o'clock now but supposed to be down to freezing by sun-up. But mid-seventies after noon. Impossible to time a burn to deal with that. Either go to bed hot or wake up freezing. >:-(

Boy have I got a stove to sell you. It would solve all those problems... %-P
N of 60

No dealers around here and it won't fit. And for the price difference I could heat the joint with electric space heaters on goofy weather days for longer than I have left. But people bitchin about how the stove looks would be the same as with the beauty I have now. ;-P

I would dearly love to take a BK for a test ride though. Or a Fireview. Or all of those other stoves that seem to be God's gift to wood burning.

Somehow I will just have to muddle through. :lol:

I hear ya brother! After a stove every other year, we're settled on the T6 for awhile. But I'd love to see how the Fireview compares to this beastie. One thing it won't match is capacity. I love the ability to feed this stove just about any odd size chunk or length and it happily burns it up. I also like being able to burn a partial load of wood and get great burning. The other night we had a 3 (pine and fir) log fire, stovetop at 600 and nice secondary burning. Perfect for shoulder season burning.

BeGreen said:
I hear ya brother! After a stove every other year, we're settled on the T6 for awhile. But I'd love to see how the Fireview compares to this beastie. One thing it won't match is capacity. I love the ability to feed this stove just about any odd size chunk or length and it happily burns it up. I also like being able to burn a partial load of wood and get great burning. The other night we had a 3 (pine and fir) log fire, stovetop at 600 and nice secondary burning. Perfect for shoulder season burning.

Yep. I plugged those two unregulated holes under the front of the firebox and put that "zipper" on a shelf in the garage and this sucker burns like a wood stove. How I want it to, when I want it to. No more balls to the wall to 700 and then dropping down. Five hundred for hours and hours, smokeless. Added benefit is that I haven't had to clean the glass in months. With N/S burns.

Controlling an EPA stove with the primary air control. What a concept.

I ran out of wood Monday but I can't stop burning (more of that addict thing) so I went out to next year's stack and started picking though to find the deadest, driest stuff I could so the fire goes on. A nice advantage of having the stove in the basement as it would be way to warm to burning upstairs.

Well according to my calculations BB needs a continuous stove top temp of 278.5F or about 4200 constant BTUs from the gods gift of wood stoves. Iam just concerned about BB tiring himself out on changing his layers of clothes, running back and forth and adding one split at a time to maintain a clean secondary burn. I knew if I posted he would take the bait. I always love the replies. He is correct about gods gift though. Iam pretty sure he was serious and wouldn't joke on that one. :lol: Thanks for the chuckle. I wished I could afford to by ya one to BB. Then you could spread the word. Cheers.
N of 60

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Yep. I plugged those two unregulated holes under the front of the firebox and put that "zipper" on a shelf in the garage and this sucker burns like a wood stove. How I want it to, when I want it to. No more balls to the wall to 700 and then dropping down. Five hundred for hours and hours, smokeless. Added benefit is that I haven't had to clean the glass in months. With N/S burns.

Controlling an EPA stove with the primary air control. What a concept.

We've been running a couple months now with full control over the primary and the EBT choked off. The stove has never run better. :red: I don't know how I'm going to break the news to Tom.

Not to start the EBT thing all over but I had an interesting talk with the distributer of PE stoves in BC. I happen to tell him I had a damper as I usually do for my stoves and he told me to take it off. His concern was for the stove getting to hot and not being covered under warranty if I had a meltdown. He also said his take on the EBT was that it was named that just for sales and the real reason was to cool the stove a serious high temps. I said wouldn't it just feed the stove and make it hotter but his take was not. Well I took the damper off to be safe as we run the stove over 800 all the time in the winter and I do not want any surprises.

I would love to hear how your stove does next year. I am thinking about high temps with your changes. If you have great success then I would be interested in you changes but for now I am thinking they are not proven at sustained day after day high temps. Hope it does work of course.

It's good to be skeptical, I certainly was, though I don't see how reducing air supply would risk overfire. From what I've seen with a full load of wood, the EBT does anything but cool the stove at high temps. Just the opposite, it adds air at peak burn to assure complete wood gas burnoff.

At first I used temporary measures to further block the primary air and then the EBT hole. I was prepared for bad burns, leftover coals, dirty glass, etc. But the results were pretty good. Prior to this, with a full load of wood, the stove used to go up to 750-800 in a heartbeat. Experimentation showed this to be a result of the primary air control not closing fully and the EBT kicking in like an afterburner right at peak burn. So I adjusted the primary air stop so that it was only open about 1/8" and blocked the EBT air hole. Now I can bring a full stove up to 700 and it will just cruise there for an hour or two, burning mostly on secondaries. The fires have lasted longer, burns have still been thorough and the glass and flue are staying clean. Been running that way for about 2 months with about half that time running the stove 24/7. Conclusion so far is that for softwood burning, the stove was getting too much air. Now we have better control, a steadier fire and less wood consumption. None of the changes I've made are permanent. They can be adjusted back if need be. But I don't think I will. Next season we'll be burning hardwood. I fully expect that with locust we may need to give the fire more primary air to avoid waking up to cold coals. I think we can handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.