still got smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
I looked out side at my stack the other day and seen some smoke. The odd part is the secondaries were burning. My secondaries seem to choke out a lot sometimes too. Stack temps on single wall are 400+ and stove is 550+ and theyll still choke out. Any thoughts? wood not dried enough?

Have you checked the moisture content of your wood, just for giggles? How quickly are you backing down your primary air? Even with seasoned wood, I have to back mine down in stages to get the cleanest burn.

is it white smoke which dissipates quickly? or heavier grey smoke which does not? rapidly dissipating white smoke is usually water vapor which happens in cold conditions when hot dry air leaves the stack its not smoke, heavier darker "smoke" is a sign of incomplete burning which can come from less seasoned wood or not enough firebox heat.

I still get some smoke with a hot stove and good secondary burn. This only usually happens when I have a larger load in there. I suppose it is just not possible to burn all of that smoke up. As long as I am not smoking up the neighborhood, I am happy. It goes away as the load gets cooking though. Sounds like you could still get the stove top temps up some.

Your chimney is still cool. Mine did that before the liner, now its just a heat shimmer. Don't get me wrong, if it is short lived then don't worry, it heats the chimney and you are good. If it lasts a while...insulate the liner.

Did you just reload...cause that'll create chimney smoke for a short time. As far as unseasoned wood always producing smoke ...I dunno.

oilstinks said:
I looked out side at my stack the other day and seen some smoke. The odd part is the secondaries were burning. My secondaries seem to choke out a lot sometimes too. Stack temps on single wall are 400+ and stove is 550+ and theyll still choke out. Any thoughts? wood not dried enough?

You say your secondaries choke out. Once they are established they should continue as it should maintain its intensity and progress from there with the extra heat being made if your wood is dry. Sounds like a draft issue to me. Whats your stack height. Just my angle any whooo.
N of 60

Status
Not open for further replies.