Still in Shoulder Season!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Stupid Global Warming. Yes it is a little easier on the wood (about 1 3/4 cord) but honestly it is a really crappy winter for us on the east coast of Canada. This was to be my first and unfortunately last year with the summit. Just over 8 cord of decently seasoned wood and no need to burn it. Will likely end up selling it with the house. It has barley dropped below freezing this year and the rain has yet to let up. Green Christmases suck!

After the Thanksgiving cold blast, we've settled into a more normal cool and damp. Stove is still burning, but no bellyfuls with this weather. A white Christmas would be nice, but only if it melted by Sunday. Lots of snow up in the mountains, were it belongs. :)

Hey Skin, we resemble that comment on the wet ... err ... west coast. A warning for 75mm (3in) of rain in the next 24h has been issued just now. Christmas will be green, as usual.

Creature said:
Hey Skin, we resemble that comment on the wet ... err ... west coast. A warning for 75mm (3in) of rain in the next 24h has been issued just now. Christmas will be green, as usual.
I hear you. Currently under a rainfall warning ourselves. Had 100mm in the last 48hrs. Lets put it this way,

Things to look forward to this winter,

Burning wood: Mild temps, the summit is not made for mild temps and the warmth creates terrible draft.

Snowmobiling: Not gonna happen, no snow and the trails are closed due to damage created by the Hurricane this fall. Stupid closure, don't get me started.

Ice Fishing: With temps well above freezing, I don't see it happening. I want tons of Ice before I take the family anywhere near it.

Drinking Beer around a Camp Fire: See above, who wants to sit outside in the rain?

Bummed out. Pass the beer.

Wow, that is a bummer, I feel for you on that ..... I love playing in the snow ... I just don't need to live in it.

1/2 hour drive for me to play on the skis/board. I'd do that tonight if I got my Christmas shopping done earlier.

Creature said:
Wow, that is a bummer, I feel for you on that ..... I love playing in the snow ... I just don't need to live in it.

1/2 hour drive for me to play on the skis/board. I'd do that tonight if I got my Christmas shopping done earlier.
Looks as though I am heading to Edmonton this summer. Problems solved. I love the winter. And I love the summer, it's the in between stuff that sucks.

Come on down, we have more than enough to go around. No stupid trail closures either.

well, here in the good ol' u.p. i've had over 3 weeks of below freezing temps straight. but then, we always do. the coldest night so far this year was -28f. more to come, i'm sure. i honestly feel sorry for all you dogs that live in the warmer climates where it will freeze and thaw all winter. makes for miserable driving. and thats another thing...it's not that you don't know how todrive in those conditions, it's the other idiots that think they know how to drive in those conditions!!! merry christmas

Move to Mammoth. I heard they got 15 feet of snow this December.

Well, if it makes you feel better this is the first legitimately winter like December we've had in a few years. Law of averages I suppose.

pen

If this is our shoulder season then I'm selling the stove and getting a one way ticket to Vegas.

We had a few weeks of very cold weather in November now it hardly goes below freezing at night. I am not going to complain though since I was not able to get as much wood this year as I normally do.

SKIN052 said:
Stupid Global Warming. Yes it is a little easier on the wood (about 1 3/4 cord) but honestly it is a really crappy winter for us on the east coast of Canada. This was to be my first and unfortunately last year with the summit. Just over 8 cord of decently seasoned wood and no need to burn it. Will likely end up selling it with the house. It has barley dropped below freezing this year and the rain has yet to let up. Green Christmases suck!

Global warming my frosty ass. We are 10-15 degrees colder for the month of December. Average high is suppose to be 44 for this month. We've seen temps over 40 twice.

Just wanted to have decent Winter for a change. Been back to Newfoundland for 3 Winters now and all 3 have sucked A$$.

SKIN, I think that is fairly normal for that area is it not?

Here in Michigan we've had a cold December but not much snow. There is only 2-3" out there and none in the forecast. But, we'll have a White Christmas at least.

Not really, typically at least a hint of snow by now and typically a good winter to look forward to, except for the last few years. Have a great Christmas.

SKIN052 said:
I would like to retract this statement. The last 4 weeks have had me busting my ass.

Days start with me stoking the fire at 0515hrs, shower, shave, load the stove for the day.

Come home to coals at 1730hrs, stoke the fire, cook supper, bring in wood for the night, load the stove for the night, pass out/sleep at around 2000hrs. Repeat.

Weekends, load the garage with wood, shovel the ROOF, fix the snowmobiles, play with the dogs, etc, etc, etc.

Is their any chance electric heat is about to get cheaper? Just kidding, love the heat but it sure would be nice to have a bit of time to myself.

Not to mention, spend time with the kids, have a beer and, did I mention, shovel the ROOF!!!! lol.

What is it they say. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Ya wished for cold... :cheese:

SKIN052 said:
SKIN052 said:
I would like to retract this statement. The last 4 weeks have had me busting my ass.

Days start with me stoking the fire at 0515hrs, shower, shave, load the stove for the day.

Come home to coals at 1730hrs, stoke the fire, cook supper, bring in wood for the night, load the stove for the night, pass out/sleep at around 2000hrs. Repeat.

Weekends, load the garage with wood, shovel the ROOF, fix the snowmobiles, play with the dogs, etc, etc, etc.

Is their any chance electric heat is about to get cheaper? Just kidding, love the heat but it sure would be nice to have a bit of time to myself.

Not to mention, spend time with the kids, have a beer and, did I mention, shovel the ROOF!!!! lol.

Could you do us all a favor? Next year complain that it's too cold in the hopes of a mild winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.