Still New to This..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticks&Stones

Aug 27, 2016
New Jersey
So I went on the roof yesterday and I have 3 flues. One of the flues is for the furnace and hot water heater. The other two are for the two fire places. I have a fireplace in the unfinished basement as well as the living room. I'm thinking of putting a Pacific Energy Summit wood insert in the living room and a Blaze King Princess Wood insert in the basement. I will have to bump the hearths out on both for code but I'm not at that point yet as well as remove the wood mantle tops. The total square footage will be around 4000 feet. My theory is that I would rather oversize the inserts so that I have the capability to really heat it if needed. I do not have basement doors leading to the outside, I only have a door that leads to the basement from the kitchen. I'm hoping the basement would produce enough heat to rise by means of doorway, does that make sense? There are no floor vents and I have zero intention of adding them. I'd like to get some feedback on this.
Thanks Again!
Pat

If your intention is to heat the entire house with the stove I would recommend trying to install a freestanding stove with rear vent.

Hi JA600L, thank you for the reply. I would consider doing a freestanding in the basement. I need to look at how efficient they are. I do long days at work so it would be nice to come home to some coals in order to get the fire started all over again. Thanks Again!

Hi JA600L, thank you for the reply. I would consider doing a freestanding in the basement. I need to look at how efficient they are. I do long days at work so it would be nice to come home to some coals in order to get the fire started all over again. Thanks Again!

Have you looked at Woodstock Soapstone hybrids? . I have the Ideal Steel. It is 3.2 cuft with catalytic and secondaries. It comes with rear or top vent. I also work long days and believe me it will make lots of heat with plenty of coals.

I'm glad to hear that, as I am starting to build a house with the Woodstock ideal hybrid steel.

I was very impressed at the factory tour.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear that, as I am starting to build a house with the Woodstock ideal hybrid steel.

I was very impressed at the factory tour.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's an incredible stove. It has a very unique burn characteristic.

That stove looks awesome! I like the performance numbers on it. What a shame that it might be sitting in a room that nobody really uses because it really is a beauty! Well it's on my radar now.
Thanks for the heads up!

That stove looks awesome! I like the performance numbers on it. What a shame that it might be sitting in a room that nobody really uses because it really is a beauty! Well it's on my radar now.
Thanks for the heads up!

There are lots of other good stoves out there too, but high efficiency and a rear vent there are few.

Status
Not open for further replies.